Florida Gulf ID wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Don't know what the following is. I found it in about 70ft of water near a wreck. It was sending out puffs of white - I assume it was releasing sperm or something. The very center cluster is what was sending out the puffs. Ignore the snot in the background. I couldn't find this in any of my Paul Humann books. Thanks. MissD.

P1010068.jpg

It's a spawning sponge of some sort.
Sponge IDs are not my forte - but this one is probably in the general grouping of "ball sponge."
Rick

Rick Murchison:
It's a spawning sponge of some sort.
Sponge IDs are not my forte - but this one is probably in the general grouping of "ball sponge."
Rick

Rick, are you sure that's not a Tunicate? Maybe in the Leptoclinides family, with a street name of Sea Squirt? Maybe?:wink:

Mafiaman:
Rick, are you sure that's not a Tunicate? Maybe in the Leptoclinides family, with a street name of Sea Squirt? Maybe?:wink:
Pretty sure... of course there's a possibility, however unlikely, that I'm... wrong (gasp!) :D. But I'm pretty sure it's a sponge. I've never seen tunicates dump clouds of gametes into the water, either.
Edit: Leptoclinides... very interesting... there's a sponge and there's an ascidian (tunicate)... wonder if they have the same name because they look alike?
Obviously this is going to require on-site verification.
Where, exactly, is this critter?
Rick

Hey, with the cold front that's blasting through here, I think its a collection of snow.

OTOH, if it was spawning, I hope the divers in the area were taking the appropriate protections!

MB:
Hey, with the cold front that's blasting through here, I think its a collection of snow.

OTOH, if it was spawning, I hope the divers in the area were taking the appropriate protections!

Suprised at SB Staff using such a nasty, foul, disgusting 4-letter word. Tsk Tsk! Should be against TOS!:D:D:D

tedj01:
Suprised at SB Staff using such a nasty, foul, disgusting 4-letter word. Tsk Tsk! Should be against TOS!:D:D:D
My bad. I know the rules. I'll be more careful when referring to c**d and s**w!

Bad MB - shame on you for mentioning bad northern things while this far south! :)

Perhaps it was a smoking sponge.....

You guys could be in VA and going out to freeze in the low 20's. BBBBBRRRRRR!!!!

I think it's a spawning sponge as well.

Back
Top Bottom