Floppy Lead Codpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just sew bags out of old boat canvas in the sizes I need. Wet weights don't have lead dust. Dry weights need to do a lot of shaking around to generate much dust and then would have to somehow become airborn. It isn't just blowing straight up into the air through a canvas bag.
So basically, don't shake your soft lead weights for hours while dry and then throw them into the air.
In summary, wash your hands when you are done playing with lead and worry about other things in life.
@Tracy that is helpful and good ideas. the concern with bags was the washout and possibly marking a boat. As a boat captain, you didn’t mention that as a concern.

+1 @Tracy
I have used double layers of lycra spandex or even heavy pantyhose to make inner-pockets for these DIY projects. Cable ties if you can’t sew.

I drop them into zippered “pencil” bags made of Cordura found at Walmart. Or buy army surplus/tactical pouches from eBay. You’re hauling these on suspenders rigs, right?

We’re simply talking about shotgun lead, I used #6 > #8. Lead handling is just common sense, if it’s brand new in the original 25# bag, pretty harmless. If it has been wet or oxidized, re-wet it and engage your brain.
Thanks @Doc appreciate the input. I can sew and forge. These weights have been in the water before.

Solid weights are best weights. I really don't understand why shot weight bags even exist. Increased corrosion on the massively increased surface area = lead going everywhere. Gross. And less dense. And harder to put on a belt.

Sell it or melt it and re-cast for fun. If I were going to cast my own custom weights I'd make some of these cool streamlined freediving style weights.
20141230_215152_1024x1024.jpg
@OTF nice idea. More streamlined should equal less drag and more efficient gas usage.

@Tracy that is helpful and good ideas. the concern with bags was the washout and possibly marking a boat. As a boat captain, you didn’t mention that as a concern.
It’s, at worst, lead dust. It’s not plutonium.

I’ve reloaded ammo for 25 years, handling lead bullets, spent cases with primer residue, etc. Common sense will keep you plenty safe, especially from whatever minimal hazards may come with a quick project to repackage lead shot. Don’t eat while you’re messing with it and wash your hands after.

Solid weights are best weights. I really don't understand why shot weight bags even exist. Increased corrosion on the massively increased surface area = lead going everywhere. Gross. And less dense. And harder to put on a belt.
There is one main reason. Soft weights are a lot more forgiving if dropped on a foot, or on a boat deck. I use only soft weights when diving with my own gear. All my regular dive buddies do as well. I don't use a weight belt.

I've got some fairly old soft weights. They get rinsed well after diving, allowed to dry and stored indoors in a mesh bag. I just haven't seen a problem with oxidation or dust everywhere.

I suppose it could potentially mar a boat deck, but I have never had it. There is always lead laying around on my boat deck and I have never seen a mark from it. My deck is aluminum treadplate, not finely gelcoated fiberglass. That may make a difference.

Each side weighs just over 18lbs / 36lbs total.
  • This is too much weight for me / my set up so I need to adjust.

How much weight do you need? One side worn as codpiece or whatever-the-opposite-side-of-cod-is-called-piece would probably work for me in a 7mm wetsuit...

How big would a 5 pound block of uranium be?

It would certainly solve all those problems of lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom