flooded UK C8, any DIY ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongodives

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I flooded my UK C8 a few weeks ago, guts weren't worth saving. So now I have the housing, anybody have ideas for a DIY project for it? Hopefully something that would cost less than buying replacement guts for it.

Buddy of mine flooded his C8 last year, took it back to our LDS who sent it back and got it fixed for free.

They have a hell of a guarantee. Take it to any dealer.

It was 6yrs old and had the Xenon bulb, I have several lights so the loss of this one isn't an issue and I don't feel like sending it off,last piece of gear I did that with took 3 months to get back.

I was hopeful someone had figured out a DIY project using the housing.

Jimlap, that's what I'm looking for, ideas any and all are appreciated.

If you can stop the leak, it is one hell of a dive dry box when you are shore diving and don't want to leave valuable stuff in your car. We dive in Bonaire where car break in at dive sites are not rare. I took an old light and gutted it for cell phone, wallet, keys and sunglasses.

As others have mentioned UK covers their stuff with insane coverage. I flooded an old crusty light I got for free, and got a brand new rechargeable D4 light for free.

It was a good business decision for them, because I have been a pimp for UK since then. ANd since I have been the buyer for all the places I worked at, they have gotten several thousand dollars in sales since then.

UK products just work better than other company's products, and they cover them fanatically. Exactly the kind of company I love.

As far as DIY products, cut the handle off just above the switch (unless it is the removable handle kind) and use it as a fairly bulletproof dry box. And a dry box that is divable too. Some guys out here in the pacific use a waterproof radio or cellphone to call the boat on drift dives that have long decompression schedules. I have surfaced several miles from the boat and always was happy when they buddy had a phone in a can that he could pull out and call the boat.

Roughly thinking it through, I would hose clamp something on the body of the light that I could feed the tank cam bands through, and mount the 'dry box' back there with a Cellphone like this one in it

Casio Cell Phone Home Page: The G'zOne Is One Tough Cell Phone

(Don't listen to the compass in the Boulder model though. It flat don't work)

I have an old UK600 that I am going to use as the battery pack for a diy canister light...

Buddy of mine flooded his C8 last year, took it back to our LDS who sent it back and got it fixed for free.

I had this same experience with my LDS and my C8. Must be an issue with the C8 itself. Anyway, took it back, and they sent it out and got it fixed for free. As a side note, we got this puppy now, and it's much more entertaining:

2008 Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light with 170 Lumen reviews and discounts, Princeton Tec

And as far as the gz ones, they are durable phones, but I've never known a cell phone to get service offshore, even if it is verizon. (personal experience on this one) You'll be looking for a satellite phone, if you are looking for something that you can pull out and use anywhere past about 5 miles offshore.

Back
Top Bottom