Flooded SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
We have a veo180 swiv navcon with an added quick disconnect. We just flooded our 2nd spg. I have not had a chance to take it to our lds for analysis yet, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I can absolutely guarantee that the reg was not dunked without the dust cap. So how is the water getting in? Just back from a week trip. On the very first dive (read: bone dry start) the wife shows me the gauge and its a quarter full of water. We continued to use it during the week and it often it would appear totally dry out of the water and then while diving fill again. Pressure read true all week, but the temp gauge died and of course I would not use the spg any more.
Is it possible that the QD is introducing water? Could the spg itself have a leak?? The wife is frustrated and wants to make the QD go away since she feels this is the difference in the setup. Can't say I disagree... I use a veo200 in a traditional console and have no issues with my spg in the same period that she has blown 2. Any guesses what's going on here. Again, I guarantee that the dust cap has been on tight before every rinse. Thanks! Mike

That water is not entering through the regulator or QD, it is getting in thru the case. For it to empty as easily as you report, the leak is big and should be readily located once the SPG is removed from the console. Cracked case, failed overpressure plug, or failed O-ring are likely culprits.

Thanks... I'll see if I can find some time tonight to pull it from the navcon and spot the problem. Just sucks that it was replaced last October!!!

Man I couldn't get that thing out of the navcon!!! Why the heck is it so hard to get the gauges out of this thing? I wonder if it got damaged putting it in there since it takes so much pressure to get it in and out! Anyway I dropped it off at the lds today. We'll see what they come back with.
Mike

spg back from lds yesterday.... Replaced under warranty. Unfortunately it was not obvious where it failed! They thought it was probably the overpressure plug. Kinda unfortunate to not know for sure. We're done for the winter so we'll find out in the spring :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom