flooded my sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
...i just joined the club ....i had the rope that hold the red cap on the
seal ...now my question is ... what are my chance to dry out my
camera.... i opened the case dry everything ... it didn't have really
much water in it and now everything works well but i can' t take pictures
with it because what i see in the screen is all fusy and disturb but if I look
at my old picture on my XD card everything is perfect ...all fonctions seems
to be fine....

Depends on whether you were in salt or fresh water at the time that it flooded. If it was fresh water, then you should be able to dry it out and be good to go. If salt, then you're probably hosed (sorry...I flooded a previous digital camera on the 2nd dive of a week long live-aboard).

Sorry to hear that, I hope the camera works for you.

I just bought a 350 myself, hopefully the same thing doesn't ever happen to me!

Good luck

Eileentk:
Depends on whether you were in salt or fresh water at the time that it flooded. If it was fresh water, then you should be able to dry it out and be good to go. If salt, then you're probably hosed (sorry...I flooded a previous digital camera on the 2nd dive of a week long live-aboard).

I toasted a 5060 in a freshwater spring(same water bottled into Dannon Spring water actually). Just because its fresh, doesn't means its gonna be ok :)

Flooded your SP 350, bummer. Thanks for sharing how it happened, I'm rerouting the lens cap string. Silicone glue is also good for securing odd bits of string. It is peelable and won't affect the plastic of the housing.

On the matter of replacement(s) the SP 310 and Sp320 also fit this case, no hotshoe however. The price of the SP 350 is dropping. Some deals around $200 are available. Of course this means Olympus might be changing the model again and $200 is still $200.

I have frinds who have run Sony memory sticks through the wash and they came out fine. Your memor is well sealed and ought to survive the dunking.

In Roatan this past week, one of our club members flooded his Oly SP-350 housing in the exact same way. They cut ends of the string that holds the lense cap became caught in the seal. Everybody using this setup should take note and trim/reroute those strings.

As far as I know, he didn't try to save the camera.

David

I only attach the lens cap / LCD hood and string after I have assembles the camera and housing, removing the risk of this ever happening. It is also a good idea to put the whole thing together the evening before you go diving if you possibly can when you aren't in a rush.

Yeeouch. Sorry to hear that happened. I'm shooting a 5050 because I can afford to take 2 of them on vacation (they're slightly under $200 on eBay if you're patient). After flooding my first camera last summer (after shooting for 7 years without incident), I want to be able to survive one flood without being camera-less on a dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom