Flooded my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since Alcina mentioned it....your Clear Coral is Tunicates. :D

You've got some nice pictures.

And since you asked for names:

The "Yellow coral" is actually a crinoid (or feather star), hiding amongst some millepora coral.

The "spotted fish" is a spotted hawkfish.

"Little fish 3" is a pixy hawkfish.

The "Hornet" fish is a "Coronet" fish (as in very much like a trumpet fish).

"Green coral" is a sponge.

"Giant oyster 2" is a giant clam, Tridacna maxima.

Gilligan:
Can you tell me if you used a reef hook on any of those dives due to the notorious currents in Palau. And if so, how did that work for you as respects taking your photos.
Sorry I forgot to answer this before.... yes, we used reef hooks. Personally, I only used it on the corners where we hooked in to watch the pelagics (like the sharks) circling around. There it was easy to find a rock or dead coral to hook to.

My little point~n~shoot optio with built in little flash is really only good for macro shots, so I have to be close to the subject and holding still. I did think of using the reef hook to hold position, but was unable to assure myself that I could hook in without hurting something once on the reef where even the dead coral has live stuff growing on or crawling across it. Sometimes it was possible to use a finger to hold position, but often even that was impossible due to no available place to touch without squishing something! Most of the time I would just drift along looking at stuff. If I saw something I wanted to see or explore more closely, I was usually able to fin to hold position against the current without any difficulty.

Needless to say, I didn't get pictures of a lot of stuff and many of the pictures I took anyway didn't turn out. But I'm actually not disappointed. I don't dive to take pictures, I dive to experience and see the life and structure. I take pictures to share pieces of that experience with folks who weren't there :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom