Flooded my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
While on a liveaboard dive trip in Palau, my Pentax Optio S50's housing flooded about 15 minutes into a one hour night dive on the second day :17: :17:

It had about 3-4 ml of water inside the housing. I first noticed it when the flash would not power up..... looking closer I saw the trickle of water :11: I figured, "Ah well.... salt water and electronics do mot mix ~ camera's shot." So I shut it off and just enjoyed the rest of the dive.

After the dive I rinsed the camera in fresh water right away (didn't dunk it, just hosed it off), then used the provided hair dryer in my room as a camera dryer (never did use it on my hair :05: ) By some miracle, the next morning I was again able to take pictures with it :jump013:

It actually mostly worked for the rest of the trip! It had a couple of small intermittent issues, but for the most part, it's working..... even the rechargable Li Ion battery survived the experience.

I'm usually pretty meticulous about making sure there's a good seal when I close the housing, but apparently I missed a piece of lint or something. There were no more leaks for the rest of the trip.

Good to have you back Snow...even if it didn't work out to meet at the airport - there will be a next time, I'm sure :wink:

Looks like you got really lucky with your camera - Hope you had a good time and post pictures soon :D

Woohooo!! Great news about the salvaged camera :) Just keep an eye on it coz it might just pack it up unexpectedly...

So where are the photos and the details about the trip??

I would take the camera in. They often work after getting wet but the salt will cause corrosion if it is inside the camera. If the camera is not cleaned properly your camera will most likely breakdown and then it will be to late to fix. Mine corroded itself to the point of no return and then they could do nothing. If I'd taken it in straight away it could have been saved.

Apparently you can wash it in distilled water and then dry but I'd leave that to the professionals

It's these horror stories that make me kringe when ever the wife talks about getting a housing for her 20D. I would rather get her a nice underwater camera, then to have her take that thing down there and live what Snowbear went through.

Glad to hear it is again working, but I agree with Drew52. Take it in now for a bath...

56.gif

You are one lucky person that your camera still works.

I also would encourage you to get it serviced.

Also consider putting some cut-up sections of a feminine mini pad in that housing in any areas that you can so as to soak up any small leak like that if it should happen again, which of course I hope it doesn't.

Nice collection of photos.

Can you tell me if you used a reef hook on any of those dives due to the notorious currents in Palau. And if so, how did that work for you as respects taking your photos.

Nice shots, Snow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom