Flooded G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin Gray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any suggestions about a flooded Canon housing and G11?? Flooded on the first dive in Saba last week:( Will not turn on. Is it fixable by Canon or is it time to get a new one??

Thanks

Any suggestions about a flooded Canon housing and G11?? Flooded on the first dive in Saba last week:( Will not turn on. Is it fixable by Canon or is it time to get a new one??

Thanks

I've read Threads & Posts on photography forums and the usual comment is "salt water is death on electronics". The first thing they caution is "don't" try to turn it on because the salt water and residue will fry your electronics.

I have a bad feeling that you are not going to like what Canon says but it would be worth the call to find out. They will always give you an estimate after looking at it and before they do anything.. if they can do anything.. so all you are looking at is the shipping cost if they say to send it in.

Having been a member of Canon Professional Services for years I know that labor costs are not cheap for repairs and parts aren't either. I have a feeling that you will probably be looking at buying a new camera.

There is only one place that services the G-series cameras and I think it is in the Mid-West someplace like Missouri or Iowa (could be wrong on the states, but somewhere up there).

Below is a link to start the process if you decide to do so.. Or you can call 1-800-OK-CANON

Canon U.S.A. : Online Repair Tracking : PowerShot G11

I would check on your home owners policy though, it might cover it.. you don't know until you ask.

Good Luck !!

Last edited:
az is correct about a repair, Canon won't. Not a saltwater "flood". However what they will do, via their customer loyalty approach, is probably offer a refurbished G-12 w/ a 90 day warranty and make you a decent deal on it. I would send the housing also, assuming you stick w/ a G-12. See what they would do on both to get you up & running again.

The online repair & tracking form link az posted is how you'll have to get things started w/ them to get an estimate first. You should be able to get an idea of what the costs will be before you send things off. Personally, I had exceptional results from Canon Repair on a G-10 flooding last year.

And yeah, good luck. Not a fun feeling! // ww

Flooded by G10 twice, Canon service center in the Philippines changed the circuits twice and opted for it because cost of repairs were yet lower than price of used unit then; the camera still works but valued twice its original cost.

I feel your pain. During a recent trip to the keys I flooded my G11. I had switched from the standard lens to the fisheye lens on the housing and didn't check it fully. Even though it flooded in the freshwater rinse tank and I dried it out in a bag of rice, nothing... I just ended up buying a used one off eBay. Probably will grab a spare one there as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I remembered reading an interesting article about the Canon OEM housing and problems with leaks and floods. Here is the link if you are interested..

Canon Housing Leaks

This might help in the future. Lots of pictures and fix suggestions.

Last edited:
When this happened to me, I sent my camera off to Canon's repair facility. After they determined it was not repairable due to water damage, I was able to buy another G12 from them at a dramatic discount (about half price if I remember correctly). I was also given the option to upgrade to an SLR or some other camera options at a discount too. When I asked if the replacement would be a 'refurb', I was told directly by the customer service agent that it was not refurbished but not a new camera either :idk:. Perhaps they're cameras that have been returned after being opened or something?

It didn't come in retail packaging, but rather in a plain white box. It appeared to be brand new to me and included all the accessories in plastic bags.

My experience with Canon repair was outstanding but not for a flood. The G series cameras have (had) a flat $250 repair fee plus return shipping. I had my G10 back in 2 weeks. As others have stated Canon USA will not repair a flood as it is not cost effective. They will offer you a refurb G11 or G12 both of which fit in the same housing.
More important is to determine what caused the flood.

There is discussion over mold release lines on some housings. There ability to cause leaks/floods is argumentative. The lines on my G10 housing were not as pronounced as those on my G12 housing. I did sand the ones on my G12 housing. I don't know if they would have caused a leak or flood.

I have some additional information regarding the G series housings which also applies to other polycarbonate housings. It may save you from the same fate I had with my G10 housing. I made those changes in the handling of my G12 housing:

LINK

Last edited:
..snip..

There is discussion over mold release lines on some housings. There ability to cause leaks/floods is argumentative. The lines on my G10 housing were not as pronounced as those on my G12 housing. I did sand the ones on my G12 housing. I don't know if they would have caused a leak or flood.

I have some additional information regarding the G series housings which also applies to other polycarbonate housings. It may save you from the same fate I had with my G10 housing. I made those changes in the handling of my G12 housing:

LINK

I don't see how this can be argumentative. The mold lines on my G12 housing were quite pronounced and were leaving quite a mark in the o-ring. If I hadn't sanded them them down I'm certain that as the o-ring aged I would have had problems. The indent was much thicker than a hair and I've seen people suffering flooding just because of a single hair.

Thanks to all for your suggestions:) I did call State Farm Insurance and all they needed was a cost estimate from a dealer on their letterhead for replacement cost. Also called Canon. They wanted everything packed up and sent to Virginia. They wanted the housing and camera. Not sure what went wrong with the housing, but am going to replace it anyway. Once again, Scubaboard is a wonderful resource!!

Colin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom