Flooded coal mines in North East Pennsylvania?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a quick search, but didn't see anything so I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone done any diving in any of the flooded coal mines up in 'them there' coal regions in PA? I was driving through that area recently and saw a historical marker about the Knox Mine disaster from years back (miners cut too close to the river and flooded the mine system, don't remember how many perished) And was wondering if anyone has done it, tried it, or even inquired about trying it.

I would almost think that a flooded coal mine would be like any cave?

Just curious....

Mines are not caves. I can tell you that from 1st hand experience.

Most coal mines are mined to the point of imminent collapse. The dry portions have all sorts of explosive or asphyxiant gases in them. Report open coal mines to the proper authorities so they can get closed; you don't want to go in there.

Coming from a family of coal miners I can tell you that an abandoned mine is the last place you want to be. Not only are many a hair's breath from collapsing there are also a few where you could surface into a fire. Coal mines catch fire. In addition to what rjack said about the toxic gases, which would not be a big deal underwater, but could kill you trying to get to where you could dive. Too many men have died in those mines when they were dry (course a coal mine is never dry), don't make them a grave for divers as well. And nature created caves, man made the mines- who would you trust more?

I second the comments from rjack and JimLap. My hometown once had the largest Anthracite mine in the world. There are many abandoned mine shafts and bootleg mines in the area. It is not uncommon for someone to drown in these collapsing mines. They are very dangerous. Not a dive site at all.

Thanks for the info guys! Guess I'll hold on the cave certs until I can talk the Mrs. to move to Florida...Figures there was a reason we didn't have cave divers up in PA!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom