Floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is something mental about feeling light-feeted. It's the paranoia that comes from not feeling in control of floating up. I think with time that sense will go away some. I dive with much lighter fins than you, and I rarely feet floaty feet. When I do, I know that it's not going to mess me up, until I try to hover perfectly still. It's not a problem to extend my legs straight, and tilt up just a little so the air rises to my shoulder and vents away.

Were you taught to use the drysuit for bouyancy control? Do you dive with the dump valve fully open? The more air you have in the suit, the harder it is... I keep the smallest amount possible to feel comfortable, and manage the rest in my wing, where it is much easier to manage.

Good advice there. I think a lot of people aren't used to diving in a horizontal position, it takes getting used to. Everyone's body type is different and it's probably more a trim issue than a drysuit one. I'm always more foot heavy in a wetsuit myself. I'd spend some time messing around with the positioning of whatever tank(s) you're using to get horizontal and not bother with the ankle weights.

The last two responders bring up another thing that the OP did not explicitly mention, horizontal trim.

It is worth mentioning in this thread why this is "good".

A horizontal orientation is intended to provide the least resistance to going forward, and maximum resistance to ascending or descending. Thus, it makes one's job of moving through the water easier while helping to control buoyancy. Goal: If it takes no effort to maintain horizontal trim, all the better for the diver. (and I never mentioned frog kick...)

Thanks for all the advice-- the suit is definitely not baggy, but I don't feel like my trim is what it was in my wetsuit. I was able to frog kick reasonably well. I just like having more control of where I am in the water- but I will keep on plugging away.

Great thread! I too have "floaty feet". I have experienced this diving wet and just recently diving crushed neoprene dry. I got away from using ankles weights wet, but I'm putting 1lb per foot dry!

Thank you to all the experienced horizontal divers for your advice! The floaty feet feeling has plagued me since going horizontal. Lynn's comment on bending the head down makes sense now. I find myself having to put my arms out all the time. They just seem to pull back in when I'm not actively thinking about their position. Arms in head down butt & feet toward the surface!

The great description for managing the bubble helps. I have Lewis's book which is good, but I get great tips from other divers here on SB. I have found the local GUE divers and took a PADI tech class from a very knowledgeable instructor. (Still need to finalize my skills.) It has been like a jigsaw puzzle, getting a piece of information that fits here, a tidbit fits there and so on. I feel each dive is making me better!

A second vote for Gaiters. They simplify fixing the floaty feet problem, trim, overall weighting and regaining trim after using a heads down position to look into a hole.

They need not be expensive, do not require additional training and make diving more fun. What's not to love?

Thanks for all the advice-- the suit is definitely not baggy, but I don't feel like my trim is what it was in my wetsuit. I was able to frog kick reasonably well. I just like having more control of where I am in the water- but I will keep on plugging away.

The 1 lb ankle weights have solved the problem. I am hoping that as I get used to diving dry I can use less weight overall (still a little challenged holding a safety stop) but had some good quarry dives this past weekend. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom