Floaty feet with Force Fin Adjustables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narcotic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had a pair of Force Fin Adjustables for a couple of years now and really love them except for one thing - the slightly positive buoyancy causes me to swim like a tailin' bonefish! Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried strapping my tank as low as practical and make sure all air is out of my BC but still have to struggle to keep a level profile. I just ordered some fill-your-own ankle weights but I hate to add additional drag if I can avoid it.

I'm headed to St Vincent and the Grenadines in January for a couple of weeks of sailing and at least a few dives so if anyone has any suggestions i'd love to hear them. If ankle weights are recommended, what's a good starting weight? (I'm 6'5"/240 lbs and dive bare skinned)

Thanks in advance.

PS: I've been a lurker here for a long time but this is my first post. Tons of useful info but, unless I missed it, I haven't seen this issue addressed.

Narcotic, the Adjustable Force Fin is 10 percent negative..might be your dive booties making things slightly positive. Thanks for sharing it will be fun to hear from other's.

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

Mine actually float. I just put them in my hot tub to confirm. It seems to be the bungee strap that actually keeps them buoyant. I usually dive barefooted.

I really love your fins. You or someone compared them to wearing sandals vs hiking boots. You got that right!

Narcotic, ok with the bungee they float..interesting since it was so long ago that I made the design and will have to look at what's up again. Thanks for testing in the hot tub.

Bob, just went to your website and looked at all of the categories: Swim Fins, Military, SCUBA, Fishing, Snorkeling and then I saw my category: "Free Diving Fins" Imagine my disappointment when I started looking and saw prices on those fins.

So I suppose one fix for my problem would be to switch from the bungee strap to the nylon strap? Am I correct? I see the bungee strap upgrade on the web site but nothing about the basic nylon strap. What's the cost of the "downgrade" kit?

Any other fixes out there? Surely I'm not the only one with this issue.

jar546, can you imagine my disappointment that high priced Force Fin's would be a turn off ?. Yes, I think we might be up in the top bracket, which bring's up the point of performance and why we do not show up in fin test with the "joke group". I have just selected the fastest acting polyurethane systems for my fins and this stuff cost big bucks. Bubble gum fin's can be made cheap in China and you get what you pay for. Finally, I am proud of our workmanship here at Force Fin, and gladly sign those expensive freediving models. I inspect the fin first and then check the flex and finally use a diamond tip tool to sign my name. All this with a money back guarantee....the good old American Way.

Bob, I think you missed my punny point. I normally see Freediving as one word. So Free diving fins to me simply meant that the diving fins in that category were "free". Get it? I was being funny.

Now that you mentioned it, yes, you are on the high end which limits your marketing to those that can afford them which is a smaller percentage of the diving population. I can only guess that you manufacturing process is ultra-expensive, reflecting in the price of your product. I am sure you have a great product, but fins, in my opinion have a price limitation just like everything else does.

The last time I looked carbon fiber freediving fins were even more expensive than Force Fins highest price model.

To my mind there are two ways you can look at fins

1) Buy cheap fins - replace them every year or two - and put up with their limitations including cramps

2) Buy a pair of fins (like Force Fins) that do every thing you want/need - pay for them one time since they will last for a lifetime of diving.

I think if most people added up the cost of fins over 10-15 years of diving, Force Fins would be a bargain - even the $800 Excellerating Force Fins or the Hockey Fins at $400 (plus if you catch Bob in a good mood on Scuba Radio you might get a great deal). I know that Bob stands behind his product and will replace them long after any other manufacturer will.

Some people want to get by with the cheapest first cost and always keep it cheap - others prefer to put their money in high quality gear and find that it pays if you do a life-cycle costing analysis. In the end most of it comes down to personal choice. That's why there are high end all inclusive resorts and hotels that offer a simple room - and I am glad that option is out there!

And then there are those that just want to be part of the latest fad - an issue I will not even address. :)

floaty feet with ForceFins,

sure the adjustable is slightly positive, but fin buoyancy is so slight it has nothing to do with your issue. What is your trim like when you are not finning at all. The action of the FF has a lot of umph on the downstroke, but much less on the recovery. If you are kicking very deeply and slowly you will notice your feet acting floaty.

I recommend that you check your trim and get it locked in. Then practice with your kicks, keep your kicks shallow and tight. I think you will find your trim issue may go away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom