Float plane operations while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derwoodwithasherwood

Contributor
Reaction score
This question might seem a bit odd but I'm sitting here looking out the window and I noticed my neighbour landing. Right were I was diving the other day. I can hear approaching boats from some distance but how close is a float plane likely to be at the point when it can be heard underwater?

derwoodwithasherwood:
This question might seem a bit odd but I'm sitting here looking out the window and I noticed my neighbour landing. Right were I was diving the other day. I can hear approaching boats from some distance but how close is a float plane likely to be at the point when it can be heard underwater?
I doubt anyone has done anything scientific regarding this.

I _can_ verify that S-3 Viking jet aircraft are pretty obvious in a submarine at periscope depth. We could hear them right through the hull.

Might be time to invest in that towable dive flag float :)

kent_1848:
Might be time to invest in that towable dive flag float :)
I was thinking of that. If it's big enough to be seen from the air, is it still classified as a flag or is it bordering on a sail? :rofl:

(I'm not a pilot, but apparently flags are hard to spot from up there. I'm told that's why wind socks are 3 dimensional.)

Don Burke:
I _can_ verify that S-3 Viking jet aircraft are pretty obvious in a submarine at periscope depth

...jets

prop planes are probably not that loud?

my thought would be to get an extra large orange lift or float and anchor
it to the bottom if possible. then make that your ascent point.

-or-

take your flag along, but then shoot a largish bag when you're ready to come up
(but two lines to manage... hmm....)

I wouldn't sweat it. It's a pretty big ocean.

The probability of your neighbor's plane's pontoon touching down on the precise place and time on the surface where your head is emerging is probably somewhere around the same as a huge frickin' asteroid crashing into the ocean and starting a tsunami that wipes out life on earth.

And face it, dude...if it happens - it just wasn't your day! :D

You woulda gotten run down by a submarine, eaten by a giant octopus, or hit by a bus driven by a little old lady anyway! :reaper:

Doc Intrepid:
The probability of your neighbor's plane's pontoon touching down on the precise place and time on the surface where your head is emerging is probably somewhere around the same as a huge frickin' asteroid crashing into the ocean and starting a tsunami that wipes out life on earth.

that's what that dude that got hit by the chunk of falling satellite problably said :11:

:wink:

Doc Intrepid:
I wouldn't sweat it. It's a pretty big ocean.

I saw the ocean once -- clear like drinking water, but it tasted funny. Heck, I bet you could look up through it and see if a plane was landing. You are right: it was big, probably almost as big as one of the Great Lakes. Certainly far bigger than my little lake here. :fork:

Doc Intrepid:

True. Timing is everything. The risk of an airplane landing is no greater than the risk of a boat happening by at that particular moment in time.

Doc Intrepid:
You woulda gotten run down by a submarine, eaten by a giant octopus, or hit by a bus driven by a little old lady anyway!

1. Spring fed lake -- any submarine small enough to make it up the outflowing creek will bounce off all the neoprene.
2. My octopus is the same size as my primary -- it goes in my mouth, not vice-versa.
3. You've seen SWMBO drive! I'll tell her to keep the bus out of the lake while I'm diving.

:rofl:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom