Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have experience with using the Flip7 from Backscatter specifically the macro lens and colored filters?

I was very close to submitting an order but every video on YouTube the filters make the video look awful and completely red/dark. Every single video review is like that.

Would I be better off just getting the macro lens and just using video lights?

For macro the filter makes no sense since the water distance is so short. I would flip out the filter for macro and try that, if it's too dark you're need a video light.

I have the FLIP 7 kit and use it on every dive. I have the "dive" filter installed (20 to 50 feet) in the top position and the macro lens to the left. Reason for that is versatility and use of natural light. I have two 2500 lumen lights on my tray as well. I use the filter and/or natural light in shallow water when there is good sunlight, and as I get deeper, I flip the filter out of the way and use the video lights for illumination. Also, you won't use the filter and the macro lens together so you can light up macro subjects by pointing the light in on them. If I'm shooting macro in shallow water, the sunlight is usually good enough, but if it isn't I can use one or both video lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom