Flip HD vs. Contour GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBHeyman

Contributor
Reaction score
He everyone. Been thinking about buying a case for my Flip HD but the price is a little high I think. Around $270? I saw some video filmed with a Contour GPS and it looked pretty good. The Contour is around the same price with the underwater housing. Which camera would be best suited for my dive videos? Or does someone know of a similar set up for around the same price?

I've literally just bought a Contour GPS (being delivered today) along with the underwater housing. I'm planning on using the goggle mount on my mask (fingers crossed there is minimal movement with the stock mount, if not I'll modify) so when all the pieces of the kit have arrived I'll let you know how it performs...

Piarco

I am also considering the Contour gps with the goggle mount, could you post an update, or review once you have a chance to try it out.

I've not had the opportunity to properly test the Contour wet, but I've mounted the camera in it's housing on my mask, and it feels both comfortable and secure. There's a 3mm neoprene square to the rear of the goggle mount which aids stability and obviously cushions the unit against the side of your head. You may have to re-adjust mask straps if wearing a hood though as it may well be an unwelcome pressure point otherwise.

IQ is great under good, natural light, but suffers a little in dimmer conditions, becoming noticeably noisier. I'm using the max settings as standard (64min on a Class 6 8GB card) so if you're planning a two dive day you may want to stock up with a couple of cards (they work out cheaper than a higher capacity) and a spare battery - thankfully it uses a Nokia battery which I've picked up for about £2.50 delivered.

As with any new kit I'll be testing on one of my clubs pool nights just to double check the housing. The dives I've got lined up soon are in pretty poor visibility water, it's the dive in the Sifra Rift where the Contour will show it's real worth!

I can post some pics of the camera mounted if folks are interested? I had to say I feel like one of the Borg with it switched on and the twin laser orientation markers streaming out!

I have been happy with my ContourHD 1080p. I am using the wrist strap and I have had good results with it. Sometimes you want to get a closer shot of something and I think having it on your wrist helps with this. I would not want to get my face too close to a moray eel to get a close up, although having your hand close is probably not much better! :)

[video=youtube;1GoizDp0DLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GoizDp0DLE[/video]

^nice vid and neat dive!

I recently picked up a Ikelite housing for my FlipHD for $125 here
Ikelite Underwater Housing

I decided to start filming because my daughter was recently certified and I want her to have some memories to 'review' later.
Don't know what I am doing really...I spend most of my time keeping an eye on her and just point it :D
Dive last Thursday, San Pedro Island, Sea of Cortez
[video=youtube_share;eM4JA4aDo4s]http://youtu.be/eM4JA4aDo4s[/video]

Hi folks, thought I'd chime in here. I purchased a HERO HD and found it "reasonable".

One a dive for dive comparison I've been impressed with the Contour as it tends to 'flare' less when you transition between light and dark zones - for example doing swim throughs on wrecks etc.

The HERO does have a cracking "one-up" on the Contour in so much as you can put two units together and create your own 3-D HD video. Its actually quite decent quality and the software that comes with the housing is simple to use. Because you've got two cameras you can use this feature to tidy up the overall quality in regular or 3-D. The 3D glasses are a bit cheesy but they do work.

With all these cameras MOVE SLOWLY through the water and avoid jerky movements.

For more information on training or the units themselves goto Silent World Dive Center or shop online at Photo & Video, Silent World Online Store

I didn't know that the Flip has a u/w housing so now I've got to go and look at that - ah another excuse to spend all that free cash

Cheers

Andrew

I have heard that FLIP is going out of business so that might be something I would be concerned about too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom