Flathead Environmental Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raider11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, last weekend I bought a flathead XP from my local zeagle dealer (DiveHouse - Buenos Aires, Argentina). He didn´t have any VI in stock, and since I´m not doing cold diving it´s not a big problem.

My question is, the flathead VI environmental seal is just a cap (part number 341-0149-CL) hand tigth to the base of the first stage. Since it´s not a silicone oil or alcohol chamber, how different is a XP from a VI? I was thinking of getting the environmental kit on the first service, but if it´s just a cup I don´t think it could make too much difference isolating the mechanics of the first stage. From the little I understand about reg mechanics the zeagle´s diaphragm regs are basically seal by design with or without evironmental kit. Does the XP has the hydrostatic diaphragm (part 341-0121MC)? if not, does the internal diaphragm (part 341-0105TA) seal everything except the spring?

Am I talking no sense? What´s the coldest working temp for each reg with and without the cup?

Thanks a lot... I already have my Ranger, Flathead XP and N2Ition... I´m officially a member of the sect thanks to Scott excellent customer service and the members of SB.

The XP is not enviro sealed. There are I think 5 pieces would need to "convert" the XP into a VI. If memory serves me, you would need a different diaphragm clamping ring (the chrome piece at the bottom), the hydrostatic diaphragm, the hydrostatic transmitter, the hydrostatic diaphragm clamping ring to hold that diaphragm in place, and then the second stage heatsink.

The way Zeagle seals their first stages, is that the hydrostatic diaphragm seals all the internal bits from the water, isolating the actual diaphragm. Whereas with the XP the diaphragm is exposed to the water, allowing for more possiblity of ice buildup on the first stage. The hydrostatic transmitter is a small piece of plastic, that rests up against the hydrostatic diaphragm, and has a stem that reaches in, through the spring, to rest on the spring carrier, that transmits the water pressure to the internal diaphragm and allows the reg to adjust as the pressure changes.

I hope that answers your questions.

Jim

Thanks Jimmer, very clear explanation.

One more question. If the hydrostatic diaphragm is expose to the water some ice can buildup on it, if it loose flexibility the hydrostatic transmitter wouldn´t transmit pressure correctly or could get stuck, so, how big of a problem could this be? isn´t it more less the same as the actual diaphragm frosen up?

The internal diaphragm is thicker and a much stiffer material. The hydrostatic diaphragm is a bit thinner, and a much more flexible polymer. I dont know which polymer specifically, but I expect is was specified for this application because it has a very low operating temperature, and retains it's flexibility even when cold.

What I can state with absolute certainty, is that my DSV's and Flathead VI's have performed flawlessly in all the ice dives and extremely cold open water dives I've had them on.

Thanks for your time Jimmer, I´ll add the environmental kit on the first service. The coldest I´ll be diving is hotter than 10ºC (50ºF), so I think it´s ok, but isolating the whole mechanics from dirt and salt sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom