Flash Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time for some lighting! My wife is about to do a night diving course and has been told she needs the following (and I might as well get a light source now I have a buddy):
1. primary light
2. secondary light
3. strobe/glow stick

#3 is easy. There are plenty of low end lights suitable for #2. But #1 is more tricky! We aren't cave divers and we aren't dedicated night divers so we don't want to spend 500+ on a cannister light. Her/our requirements would be:

Takes standard batteries or is rechargable
Not too big - probably the "gun" style although i think I prefer cannister style
Isn't too expensive

LPro seems to sell Ikelite, Princeton and Underwater Kinetics.

Any thoughts?

For recreational diving, I use the PrincetonTec lights. Here's their web site, www.princetontec.com. Bought mine on eBay.

Brian

I almost always dive with a light (a secondary) to see in all the nooks and crannies, so here is my 2 cents worth.

I am told that Ikelite offers an unconditional guarantee (not sure on that.) I find them difficult to reseal once you put new batteries in, so I have had them flood. I also had one crushed in my BC pocket by a tank.

I use a princeton tank light for night dives with no problems but their secondaries did not work well for me (too dim, flooding.)

UK is my preffered brand. I use their SL 4 for a secondary (I have 2) without having a problem in years. I also use a gun style for a primary, but I don't travel with it (too heavy.) I usually rent a primary for the one or two night dives I do during a week of travel.

If you are going to use a secondary during the day, buy the medium (not the small) size. Much better light and not bulky like their primary.

Hope this helps.
K

I use a UK Light Cannon as my primary. It's powered by C-cells, although a rechargeable kit is available. It is more than adequate during the day, but most impressive at night, where it's illumination blows away conventional lights. I purchased mine through a local shop for $200, and I've seen them on the web for $159.

My backup is an Ikelite, 4 c-cell. It flooded after a year of moderate use, and the manufacturer sent me a new one.

Steve

The best choice in my opinion is the UNDERWATER KINETICS UK D8, this lamp has 18 watts and with rechargeable nicads you,re be able to upgrade to 30 watts (wide beam)this light is available with a pistol or lantern grip, it,s your choice.I bought mine for under $70 and if you buy the rechargeable kit it will set you back another $129 but you can check out WWW.BatterySpace.com and you,ll find the best rechargeables for very little money.Have fun Peace

I've used mostly Princeton Tec and UK lights and been happy enough, they do the job. To comment on #3 - strobe/glow stick aren't really interchangable, though they get sold that way sometimes. I consider a strobe to be a nice thing to have tucked away for a situation like the boat left you and it gets dark (not likely to happen of course, but that's what emergency stuff is for.) Or sometimes to mark an exit point UW (or loan to a boat when _their_ strobe has died.) But I think it's annoying and potentially confusing to those around you to actually dive with one on you. If you're going to have a light on you it should be a constant on light like a glowstick. Instead of throw-away glowsticks I prefer battery operated marker lights, you can get LED ones for $10 now and the batteries should last many dives.

DrSteve:
It's time for some lighting! My wife is about to do a night diving course and has been told she needs the following (and I might as well get a light source now I have a buddy):
1. primary light
2. secondary light
3. strobe/glow stick

#3 is easy. There are plenty of low end lights suitable for #2. But #1 is more tricky! We aren't cave divers and we aren't dedicated night divers so we don't want to spend 500+ on a cannister light. Her/our requirements would be:

Takes standard batteries or is rechargable
Not too big - probably the "gun" style although i think I prefer cannister style
Isn't too expensive

LPro seems to sell Ikelite, Princeton and Underwater Kinetics.

Any thoughts?
I got a UK Pro Pack from ScubaToys.com before my PADI AOW dives that included a night dive. It includes the UK C-8, Q-40, and tank beacon for under $100. The Q-40 runs on 4x AA batteries and easily fits in a BC pocket. The tank beacon uses two AAA batteries and has several hours burn time on a set.

If you're just starting, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot before you know what works for you (particularly if you'll be getting two sets).

-Rob

DrSteve:

FWIW, I reccomend the lantern-grip vs. pistol-grip (many pistol-grip (e.g. all of the UK lights, I believe... yup; check out LP part UKTLG8) are convertible to lantern.)

I find them easier to hold, plus the lantern handle can be (pretty) securely tucked through a waistband, etc. There ain't nuthin' you can do with a pistol grip except hold it or let it dangle.

Hi,

I used to have a UK1200 (now approximately equivalent to the UKD8), unfortunately it died a horrible acidic death when a battery leaked. I replaced it with a cannister HID light as my primary. You have clearly stated that this is financially not your chosen path, and I clearly understand that. I had a UK SL4 as my secondary and I think for you the SL4 (or its cousin the SL6) would make excellent primary and secondary lights for your needs.

My reason for this endorsement is the size of the light. I was sad to see my 1200 go but it was extremely bulky underwater, it was always awkward and heavy. It was difficult to pack as it was both heavy and took up lots of space in my luggage. It did have a really nice beam; but on balance I am gald it is gone. The SL4 and SL6 are both extremely compact and both have a nice bright beam. Remember the best light is not going to do you any good if it is so awkward that you often choose to leave it on the boat. A light that is so compact that you don't mind bringing it along on every dive will be a much better choice.

Mark Vlahos

I have an Ikelite C-Lite 8 as my primary and it does a pretty good job. It's a gun style. I have it attached to a short coil leash off of my D-ring that can easily disconnect and extend if I need further reach. Price at my LDS was about $70.

My secondary light is a Princeton Tec Surge. It holds 8 or 4 AA batteries. Nice small light, but not terribly bright, so lately I've been dragging my C-Lite 8 along with me on all my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom