Flares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know of small flares (pyro or smoke) that can fit in a BC pocket? I've contacted Orion, a large flare manufacturer, and they didn't know of any appropriae for scuba.

I just want to make sure I don't decend and have one light off from the pressure.

This is a picture of the ones I use; they are specially designed for diving and I have a number of dives on them without any accidental discharges.

http://www.botac.com/skybscubsigp.html

Scubaguy62:
This is a picture of the ones I use; they are specially designed for diving and I have a number of dives on them without any accidental discharges.
Have you tested them after a few dozen dives? I've heard rumors that they have a really bad failure rate.

Every July 4th the local boaters and commercial fisherman fire off 6 year old flares. The SOLAS 1,000' parachute flare is pretty impressive.

Thanks for the posts! I'll check them out!

do you use the dive canister with the day / night flare? According to the website, it says it is ideal for diving, but then I dug a little deeper and found they offer a dive canister for the same flare.

I don't use them. Years ago I used a similar type, we'd put a condom on over them and knot it.

There is a device suited to diving, it is the military MK 124 Mod 0 Day/ night distress signal. It is used by aircrews and divers and has a smoke end and a flare end. Now for the bad news, it is not available on the civillian market. I can't understand why because many similar devices are available for boaters but those are not water and pressure proof.

Captain

I know, the MK 124 and the MK 80 kit would both be perfect. I'm familiar with them from being in the Coast Guard. I can't even find a manufacturer of them, but the Pains Wessex Day / Night flare seems very similar.

It's made by Life Support International. I contacted them and was told it is only available to the military.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom