Fixing a leaking Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DWJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Sherwood Magnum mask. Have about 12 dives on it. During the last dive, the mask was leaking badly. Spent most of the dive clearing it. I thought at the time that I’m simply having a bad mask day. Anyway when I was home I took the mask and in front of a mirror to make sure the mask was seated correctly on my face, sucked in air thru my nose and I located the leak, not in the skirt but in the joint between the skirt and the window. My question is this, would something like aquarium caulk/glue be appropriate to seal this leak?

Dave

If you got the mask from your local shop, bring the critter back, that's why you buy from a shop instead of online, remember?

Finding a glue that'll really stick to a silicone skirt isn't that easy, the aquarium (silicone) caulk is as good as any.
Your surface prep is going to make all the difference in the world, scrub the area with scouring powder or toothpaste & degrease with ammonia or vinegar.
Expect to be having to redo the thing fairly regularly.

Bob3:
If you got the mask from your local shop, bring the critter back, that's why you buy from a shop instead of online, remember?

True enough. We will see what kind of service they will provide with this. When I bought the mask from the LDS I paid $63.00 (list was $70.00 less 10%) At the time I didn’t know about LP which has the mask for $27.00. I also got a pair of Cressi Rondine fins at the LDS recommendation $150.00
(LP=$ 83.00). I'm all for supporting the LDS but this is not a reasonable mark up . Lights, inventory, whatever. I can't help feel like I just grabbed my ankles and coughed.
OK, I'll not vent here any more. I'll see what the 125% preimum bought me.

Thanks

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom