Fitting my Zeagle Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berklee46

New
Reaction score
I just got my Zeagle Ranger BC today in the mail. It's in excellent condition and I believe I got a good deal.
My question is about the proper fit. I know Zeagle's have a pretty wide range of adjustment, but I want to be sure it's not too big. Should the back ride a bit low, or should it ride high, like a jacket (with the back almost to the bottom of my neck)?

I've got a 35-36" waist, and wear about a 43 suitcoat, so I figured the Large would be a good fit, even if I had to tighten it up.

I guess my other question is, would I be better off with a BC that is a bit too big, or a bit too small?

Thanks

The BC should fit correctly. The waist measurement is used to size the backpack section of the BC. The measurement from the shoulder (at the base of the neck) to the waist is used to size the shoulder straps. This system allows you to get a BC that fits even if you are short and have a large waist or are very tall and have a small waist. The online merchants don't tell you these things. Zeagle may have their sizing chart on-line. Your local Zeagle dealer will have a chart (which is in the catalog).

Great questions, which your local shop could have answered.

I imagine you had your reasons for going online but nothing can replace a proper fitting in person.

nothin' like an LDS! My LDS told me that they never met a person that a large-large didn't fit. At 5'11' and a 43" chest I felt like I was swimming (sorry for the bad pun) in it. It fell to my hips unless the shoulder straps were pulled as far as possible and the waist needed to be sized as small as possible. My shoulder measurement is on the cusp of med and large at a 21-22.5" or so measurement. Any loss of "baby fat" in my waist and it would also be too loose on the waist. At least they agreed to replace it. I'm still waiting for it to come in.

Wish now I'd gone elsewhere for a TP which has great fit, but, I'm embarrased to say I got sold on the Zeagle marketing and image thing. dumb... dumb...dumb me. Also felt the TP was a bit of overkill for the recreational diver that I am today.

If the Ranger ever shows up maybe I'll be aqble to gethappy w a med-med fit.

jhspb,

Sorry to hear your lds screwed up that way. When I baought my Ranger the same thing was done to me. I guess the lousy shops I had available had a lot to do with deciding to open one myself

My LDS quite forcefully pushed the Med/Med for me and he was right - I had thought a large was right. I had worn a L/XL jacket style but the Med/Med Ranger fits me just fine - middle range of adjustments, I'm 6', 213 lbs. FWIW, the Ranger, to increase waist circumference, adds material on the waist panels on the front side of the pockets, so you don't get any forward shifting of the pockets with larger waists, as best I can tell. I like the rear positioning, my weighting works fine (16-18lbs salt/3mm) using the side pockets, no need for rear trim with an AL80. I can also access the outer pockets in the water, just get used to where the pull is. I don't use the lumbar pad, either, just the plain Jane Ranger. I have really enjoyed using it, dropped several pounds from my STAB style and find carrying the tank on shore much more comfortable.

In case you haven't caught the proper height on your torso, I found the top of my hip bone structure and have the bottom of the panels just touch that - as per Zeagle drawings.

DSAO

Bill

Jehosaphat, the LDS can be just a problematical. Remember the old vaudeville and TV act,"Are You Being Served?"; this is where the tailor slips a coat on the customer and then begins to pull on the back and yank down the front and ends by saying "it'll wear in with time". I should have known better. Fortunately, with most LDS, you can return it (unused), and I did. Fortunately again, they had just gotten in a shipment of my actual size. I'm still using that Seaquest Dimension 3D purchased in 1994.

Originally posted by berklee46
I just got my Zeagle Ranger BC today in the mail. It's in excellent condition and I believe I got a good deal.
Did you perchance purchase your BC off of ebay from someone doing the Ranger>>>ebay>>>bp/wing maneuver?

Could have even been someone from this board....
There are a lot of them doing that these days....
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7209

Perhaps if you find the seller on this board they could give you some advice as to fit.

I recently purchased a Zeagle Ranger from my LDS. I tried the large / large and could not get the shoulder straps to sug down far enough. I went with the medium harness and large vest and it fit perfect, even had some room in the shoulders for wearing a drysuit.

I went to my LDS and was fitted with a Med Ranger, I'm 5'10" & 180 lbs. While I didn't buy it from the LDS but on line from a private indivigual, I did take it back to the LDS for his once over. I also bought a retractor, soft weights, and a new hood to keep him making some money. He told me that I bought it below his cost and that he'd be glad to service it when necessary. The point is, I knew what size to buy due to the LDS and didn't make a mistake buying it too large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom