Fitness-style ankle weights with drysuit? Dumb idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving dry I was using my regular wetsuit fins a nd booties. An air bubble collected in my feet. It wasn’t horrible but not great either. I did use 1.5 lbs ankle weights (I had them from somewhere). Eventually I switched to rock boots, which lace snug over my feet and heavy rocket fins. If you are still concerned about a bubble around your legs, I believe you can get gators that will help. Using more weight to compensate for more air trapped in your suit is a battle you are unlikely to win. You will find yourself floating at the surface waving your fins at passing boats...

Those wenoka fins don’t seem heavy at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were positive. Maybe try renting some jet fins if they are offered locally or see if a buddy can lend you his fins for a pool session.

Even properly weighted and using SP jet fins XXL, my legs float in my dry suit, so....I put a single 2lb weight in each thigh pocket. For me it works, it is ditchable in an emergency and it balances me nicely. FYI, I dive my suit fairly "tight", not a lot of gas in it, and it is a custom cut suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom