Fitness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Just curious to see if anyone has tailored their cardio/PT workouts for diving? Anyone make a "diving specific" workout?

Always looking for ideas.

Eric:)

:sam:

Even though I'm not a guy, I'll respond to your post. :jester: I can't say I have a program "tailored for diving." Cardio involves treadmill and swimming. I have recently been checking out the fitness books recommended on GUE and will probably be buying a few they recommended.

BTW, do you still rep weezle and nordic blue?

Stacey

PA/NJ,

Sorry, Don't rep anymore. My "real" job takes to much of my time for me to give enought to the repping side to make all happy. If you PM me, I can get you in contact with some stores .

Eric

but I wish it was. I have benefitted dramatically from my program at the RDV Sportsplex here in Orlando since I started it in January. I do a "normal" workout on Mon/Wed/Fri with a 200+ yd swim, and a mile + swim on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I think any cardiovascular workout helps your diving. I ride a stationary bike 30' per day/7 miles. I also do situps cause my gut is getting bigger, though it's not mushy. I wish I could swim more, but it's not convenient. Since I'm diving some bigger doubles now, I intend to get some weights and do a few squats per day with about 200# or so to simulate my cave gear.

Until this past December I swam several times per week in
addition to lifting weights. Unfortunately swimming is no longer
convenient so I had to find something to "replace it".

After research and contemplation I selected an eliptical
cross-trainer. The arms on the cross trainer move so I can
exercise my deltoids, etc. by making them do some of the
work that my legs do for most of the workout. I find the eliptical
is more of an overall workout than swimming was with the
added benefit of strengthening my lower back.

I also continue to lift weights concentrating primarily on
dead lifts, squats, bench press and rows.

Hauling tanks and gear and swimming and boating and diving and diving and diving...
That's the ticket!
Rick

G_M,

Moving back to MA area, I have the ability to start rowing again. That should help a lot. And dive and dive and....dive
Eric

to help me when I start diving doubles. It is brutal but worth every second... It is specific for building your arm and shoulder muscles. You might wish to adopt this regimen - 3 days a week works well.

Start by standing outside behind the house and, with a 5 pound potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out to your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

After a few weeks move up to 10 pound potato sacks, then 50 pound potato sacks and finally get to where you can lift a 100 pound sack in each hand and hold your arms straight out for more than a full minute.

Next, start putting a few potatoes in the sacks, but be careful not to overdo it at this level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom