Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are a short adaption of some of the programs of the book. The book itself is well worth obtaining.

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that the book is a valid one, but I need to understand if it is good for me. My fitness level is above the average, I am damn flexible (except in my hamstrings) and I can reach the "advanced" level described in that book without the help of a trainer (how do I know it? Because I have already done it in the past).

Right now I do not have much time, so if I want to read a book, it must be really worth it. Maybe you are willing to help me in better understanding the content of the book, even In private... I would really appreciate it :)

<- Worked as a strength coach for 15 years before changing careers. Shouldn't have changed.. Anyways..

I would recommend some hinging exercises and loaded exercise on top of what others have shared.

Hinging are deadlifts. If time is your enemy and you can only do one exercise do this.

Loaded are
. 1. Farmers
2. BearHug
3. Prowler - Push
4. SuitCase - One-arm Farmer’s Carry
5. Juggernauts - Dan John

All but prowlers can be done with sandbag filled military duffle's which can be found on amazon for dirt cheap.

--
Side note: Tire Drags - Just like it sounds. (Twice a week 1000meters in 20mins)

Unconventional Training Tools: DIY Tire and Drag Harnesses
--

EXERCISE LIBRARY - Atomic Athlete

GUE's Fitness for Divers is a great book to help you along your journey. I'm in the first few weeks of the intermediate program, and I am enjoying it so far; it seems to target the muscle groups needed in diving. With that said, my normal fitness routine was training for triathlon events, so this program is a welcomed change of pace and an added weight training introduction. 10/10 recommend.
This is not a GUE publication. They just sell it.

I see you all have been giving the OP good advice. I'm in a bit of a different situation in that I have recently experienced unwanted weight loss due to spending the majority of my workday walking and pushing moderate loads. I was skinny to begin with, at 5'8" and usually <140 lb. Now I am beginning to take on a skeletal appearance, and it worries me. I have not changed my eating habits -- I have been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for twelve years; the change has been the amount of physical activity, as I described above. What would the rest of you say to my situation?

I see you all have been giving the OP good advice. I'm in a bit of a different situation in that I have recently experienced unwanted weight loss due to spending the majority of my workday walking and pushing moderate loads. I was skinny to begin with, at 5'8" and usually <140 lb. Now I am beginning to take on a skeletal appearance, and it worries me. I have not changed my eating habits -- I have been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for twelve years; the change has been the amount of physical activity, as I described above. What would the rest of you say to my situation?

Sometimes unwanted weight loss indicates another hidden health issue. I’d check with a doctor.

In a standard situation, the first step would be to increase your caloric intake to supplement the extra working loads. Then, if nothing changes, you should go to a doctor.

However, first, try to understand if you are healthy or not. If I am correct, 5'8''=1.77m and 140lbs=63kg, leading to a BMI of 20, which is ok. when your BMI goes lower than 18, you should start worrying. You also need to consider the percentage of body fat; believe it or not, even at low BMI it can be fairly high, and I am not sure whether it is healthy to have low BMI and significant fat percentage in your body composition (for sure, it doesn't help for fitness).

So try to understand these two parameters: BMI and fat percentage. If they are ok, I would just increase the caloric intake.

And try to speak with some friends who studied medicine.

Can anyone summarize the Fitness for Divers book? Is it actually based on modern exercise science / training of divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom