Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay... Help me out. I don't have sufficient experience with wet lenses, so. . .

Assuming I want a bayonet mount (I suck at threading screws in dry gloves.), should I go with the UWL-100 28AD?

Then there is macro. This camera's macro is not very close up. Is there a good bayonet mount macro lens solution for this camera?

Finally, I will want to mount the other lens on my ultralight control arms/tray when I am not shooting it. Any recommendations? Or would putting it in a pocket be the better choice? I am a little short on pocket space.

Okay... Help me out. I don't have sufficient experience with wet lenses, so. . .

Assuming I want a bayonet mount (I suck at threading screws in dry gloves.), should I go with the UWL-100 28AD?

Then there is macro. This camera's macro is not very close up. Is there a good bayonet mount macro lens solution for this camera?

Finally, I will want to mount the other lens on my ultralight control arms/tray when I am not shooting it. Any recommendations? Or would putting it in a pocket be the better choice? I am a little short on pocket space.

You better ask Ryan.

IMO, at this time, based on what I see and know, the 100-28AD with or without the dome would work and the 165AD macro lenses both from Inon will work, these are stackable. I do not know what the compatibility is for sure with the Inon 165AD FE lens and the whole AD vs 28AD thing confuses me anyways, sorry. These are all bayonet mounts.

The other Inon solution is the thread on 100WAL Type II and the thread on Inon 67 mm macro lenses. These are all thread on.

Of course it is apparent that FIX has their own macro lenses and wide angles optics. The ST mount and FIX mounts now indicated on the Fisheye web page I am not fully understanding yet.

Dude, 2.5 inches, how close you want to get, lol?

The Inon 100-28Ad is a chunky piece of glass (like the Ikelite lens and the Inon Type II, all similar) and if you put the dome on it, wow, it is heavy lens. I don't know how much on and off you would do (with the dome installed, assuming).

N

I have read something worrying on INON's website: The source is : INON Wide Lens?UWL-100 28AD?[Spec / Function] (see fineprint point 4 at the bottom)

28AD Mount is exclusively designed for [UWL-100 28AD] lens.
The [UWL-100 28AD] can be physically attached to existing INON AD Mount Base, but the performance will be limited since optical design is different.
Existing AD Mount series attachment lens can not be physically attached on 28AD Mount. Only [UCL-165AD Close-up Lens] can be attached to 28AD Mount Base with functional limitation. [AD Mount Converter for UCL-165AD] is necessary when attaching UCL-165AD to [28AD Mount Base・DC40] / [28AD Port PT-027/020].

So this begs the question... will the normal AD lenses fit onto FIX's 28AD mount? Seems that Inon has prevented this on their mounts. I hope FIX hasn't done the same thing.

I have read something worrying on INON's website: The source is : INON Wide Lens?UWL-100 28AD?[Spec / Function] (see fineprint point 4 at the bottom)

So this begs the question... will the normal AD lenses fit onto FIX's 28AD mount? Seems that Inon has prevented this on their mounts. I hope FIX hasn't done the same thing.

I sure hope so, because that screws my whole plan, if not. I don't have the UFL-165, so that's not a concern to me (and of course it's designed for the UWL-100 28AD, so that's a given), but my whole plan is to be able to switch between wide angle glass (such as the UWL-100 28AD, or perhaps the Fix UWL-04 with the AD adapter Ryan mentioned) and my existing AD macro lenses (UCL-165AD).

I hope to talk to Ryan today, perhaps he can clear things up.

Spoke to Ryan: I didn't ask about the UFL-165's (sorry, it's just not really on my radar), but he did assure me my UCL-165AD macro lenses will work in the Fix AD adapter, although possibly with the addition of a small, inexpensive spacer. (Presumably the [AD Mount Converter for UCL-165AD] mentioned on Inon's site)

The question is how the Fix UWL04's 52mm threaded adapter is going to work. Converting it to AD is not a good option, Ryan tells me, so the best bet may be to make an actual special caddy for the Fix adapters, and treat the adapters like a permanent part of the stack: Take the 52mm adapter, connected to the UWL04, off the camera and onto a special lens caddy, and take the UCL-165AD macro lenses, still connected to the Fix adapter, off the other side of the lens caddy and onto the camera.

Ryan is expecting the revised Fix lens adapters in the shop next week, so he'll know more very soon.

Meanwhile, I have a Fix housing set aside for me in the shop, to ship out once the adapters are in. :D

I believe, and I could be wrong, the 28AD is a larger diameter than the standard AD but I hope that I am wrong. I believe there is an adapter (converter) for the adapter, arrrgghhhh.

I guess I have a different way of looking at it and forget sometimes that I have my own homemade AD adapter for 67mm. So, for my FIX housing I plan to purchase the 67mm adapter first.

Here is the macro adapter for the Inon AD macro lenses to 28AD mount:

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_87&products_id=839

The 28AD adapter that FIX is showing will be for the Inon 100WAL 28AD wide angle lens and for the Inon AD macro lenses used with the above adapter. I believe that those of us who have the 105AD WAL and 165AD FE lenses will have to use the 67mm FIX adapter and a homemade AD to 67mm adapter. There are rumors that somebody makes one other than me (I made two and that was the end of production, lol), but I have never seen it so who knows. If you have a link, anybody, I am sure it would be helpful.

This is the macro Inon AD lens that can use the AD mount with the converter linked to above:

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_96&products_id=43

This is the Inon 67mm threaded macro lens.

The macro lenses are all stack-able.

This is the Inon 165AD FE, it will not fit the 28AD mount:

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_96&products_id=46

It will require a AD to 67mm adapter (mine) or FIX or Reef or?? will have to develop an additional adapter, an AD adapter.
N

If I understood Ryan's explanation correctly, the 28AD is deeper than the regular AD (or is it shallower?). So the AD macro lenses need the spacer to put them at the correct distance.

The UFL-165AD could probably use the same spacer to physically connect to 28AD, but it would vignette horribly because it would now be held too far away from the front of the port.

Yeah, depth, not diameter, I believe you are right. Here is a 165AD FE lens, note how the rear element of the lens protrudes rearward. The 28AD lens does not so therefore the mount is different (??):

DSCF0047.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom