Fish tennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idiot fish

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst on the subject of funny things that happen.

Me and my CCR dive buddy were reef diving last weekend in Malaysia, viz was quite bad - maybe 8m so even though it was a day dive I was using my HID light to check out under the corals and in any holes/caves I could find.

No OC bubblers around (or fanatic tank bangers that you often get communicating with each other) so dive was nice an quiet.

We came across a massive shoal of fusiliers and slowly edged forward, as we came close my hand held HID accidentally flashed against the shoal and they all immediately turned 180 degrees and swam across us at 90 degrees, I thought it curious that they would react to my light so I pointed it to my right and the shoal turned immediately to back to the left.

I then began what can only be described as 'Fish tennis'. By flicking my light at the shoal left then right the fish would go back and forth like a tennis ball.

As I was on CCR I could clearly hear the 'whoosh' as the shoal changed direction. The next thing I hear is my buddy laughing at the fish tennis. This starts me laughing...hysterics follow and we both sit there laughing our heads off for five mins, to the extent that we had gas bubbling out of masks and around mouthpieces!

I even checked myself at one point to see if we were narked or suffering some other depth/gas induced mental state - but we were not.

Then suddenly the laughter stopped dead (albeit unjustifiably) as through the shoaling fish heading straight towards us came a black tip shark.

It buzzed us twice coming within 1.5m then left.

I wondered after if it was the fish movement as well as our EMC that had attracted it.

One curious thing is that I noticed that the tennis did NOT reduce or even scare away the shoal - if anything it grew in size and came closer.

Very funny dive.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom