Fish Rock Trip Report - Mar 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thnx for one of the best trip reports I have ever read

Yeah most of the time it's ok, but when it's on it's on!

The crossing i mentioned earlier was after the one of the weirdest times at sea i had ever endured. SWR was closed to commercial fisherman at the time (which is a great thing) and we were up the coast off Nambucca Heads. After a night chasing King Prawns we anchored on a rock in 30 fathoms of water (roughly 60 metres i think) and i could see the bottom :O We were fishing with hand reels over lunch on water that was like glass!!! Honestly, i have lived near the coast my whole life and never seen the ocean like it. There was not an inch of swell. At 2pm i was having a ball, by 4pm all hell had broken loose and i found myself projecting my lunch over the side of the trawler.

Coming in over that bar was insane and my Uncle after succesfully crossing the thing, fell asleep almost immediately and we nearly ended up on the break wall.

Sorry for the long winded story, that place just has some fond memories :wink:

Hehe no worries. I can't imagine the water like glass there :shocked2: Some days during the diving it was calm enough but no where near "glass-like" :wink: Too bad you didn't dive that night!

Sensational report Saspotato,

I'm just about to get my OW Cert, so I'm very excited about what I'm about to experience. I live on the Sunshine Coast so most of my initial dives will be made locally and naturally I've been looking further north to the GBR as possible dive trips over the next year or 2. After checking out the photos on your flickr page and reading this report I think I may have to include SWR on the wish list of destinations. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Jason

Yes I highly recommend SWR :) Good luck with your OW cert! We have an Aussie diving thread for each fortnight in this forum section so if you get a chance check it out and post how your OW and future dives go~~

Yes I highly recommend SWR :) Good luck with your OW cert! We have an Aussie diving thread for each fortnight in this forum section so if you get a chance check it out and post how your OW and future dives go~~

Thanks Sas, I've just spent the last hour flicking through those threads. It's great to see what others have been getting up to around the country. Truly impressed with the number of dives you get in each week and your photos are incredible. Keep up the great work. I'll post some reports of how my dives go. I start my course on the 13th of June, I can't wait.

As a newbie here I've gotta say this site is awesome, but it's a little overwhelming. I log on and don't know where to start, it's just so bloody "HUGE". I'll have to be careful I don't spend too much time on here and then forget to get wet myself:D.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks Sas, I've just spent the last hour flicking through those threads. It's great to see what others have been getting up to around the country. Truly impressed with the number of dives you get in each week and your photos are incredible. Keep up the great work. I'll post some reports of how my dives go. I start my course on the 13th of June, I can't wait.

As a newbie here I've gotta say this site is awesome, but it's a little overwhelming. I log on and don't know where to start, it's just so bloody "HUGE". I'll have to be careful I don't spend too much time on here and then forget to get wet myself:D.

Jason

Cheers,

Lots of great people and info here all right. I do suggest you check out the basic suba discussions forum... friendly place to ask questions and learn a lot of stuff.

this is a fun thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/278275-survival-kit-basic-divers-sb.html

and this is hilarious http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html

Welcome to the board and a great spot.. maybe you can join us in SWR next year?

Last edited:
........... that bar at the entrance to the river was the spot that had me praying for my life for the very first time.........

heheheheheeh i was warned and warned about the sandbar and the first day thru it was like a smooth pond and i was wondering what people were worried about

day 2 was INSANE! if i had seen it before crossing it im sure i would have bailed

BUT, the dive crew was fantastic..... kudos for them for being safe and professional :clapping:

great report Sas - will ask hubby to put some pics up

we're already excited about Invade the Rock 2010!

heheheheheeh i was warned and warned about the sandbar and the first day thru it was like a smooth pond and i was wondering what people were worried about

day 2 was INSANE! if i had seen it before crossing it im sure i would have bailed

BUT, the dive crew was fantastic..... kudos for them for being safe and professional :clapping:

great report Sas - will ask hubby to put some pics up

we're already excited about Invade the Rock 2010!

So Second week of March right?

Oh and remember Jon will pick people up from the beach after going through the bar if necessary:)

Can't wait for the return trip 8th to 12 March 2010 and Jon said he is even looking forward to us coming back!

Last edited:
I will give this thread a quick bump to bring it active for those who want information on INVADE The ROCK 8th March to 12 March 2010... it is getting close to the time.. Jon has promised to make it even better this year and last year was awesome!

Thanks for the comprehensive report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom