Fish Photo from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm sure this is a very common fish but I have been unable to positively identify him from looking at my reef fish ID book.

image.jpg

positively grilled! :D

Going off a Bonaire reef I.D. card, and online followup, I believe that is a Saucereye Porgy.

Richard.

P.S.: They have some color changing ability. I've seen one 'lose' stripes.

I think that's him, Thanks Richard. I've already gone back and labeled the photo. I take it from the other post that they are good eating. This one's pretty safe though in Bonaire.

I would just chuck in a note of caution. Certainly a Porgy but in Bonaire it could be one of several species which are hard to differentiate. The main diagnostic for a Saucereye is a small, bluish, saucer-shaped ring below the eye which can be quite hard to see even when you blow up your pic. Unless you can see it, may be safer to name it just "Porgy".

image.jpg
I would just chuck in a note of caution. Certainly a Porgy but in Bonaire it could be one of several species which are hard to differentiate. The main diagnostic for a Saucereye is a small, bluish, saucer-shaped ring below the eye which can be quite hard to see even when you blow up your pic. Unless you can see it, may be safer to name it just "Porgy".

Thanks Jim. I took a look at some of your photos at the website you post. Beautiful.
Here is the fish from another angle . I think that bluish saucer may be there.

Last edited:
Hi UNCFNP
The line parallel to the mouth running to the gill cover is an indicator of a Jolthead as LouisJ suggests. However, the head profile, which looks relatively steep, is more like that of a Saucereye. The profile of a Jolthead is a little less steep although in this case the angle of view for judging that is not ideal. I doubt you will ever know 100%
Thanks for the comments on my green water pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom