Fish Identity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csette

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need an help! Some weeks ago I take this shot on Cuba. Could you please help me to identify this fish!

Thx in advance,

P1010041.JPG

I'm not at home where my books are, but this looks like some kind of Soldierfish. Someone will give you a positive ID.

Looks like a Bigeye to me.

By Golly, I think you are right.

yes, it's a priacanthid (bigeye), but not the Hawaiian species. Priacanthus meeki doesn't occur in the Caribbean. Two Caribbean species fit the look of the Cuba critter, P. arenatus (bigeye), and Heteropriacanthus (formerly Priacanthus) cruentatus (glasseye snapper).

This is one of my favorite Caribbean fish families.

On a recent Blackbeard's trip we dove a double wreck called the Miami/Rita, which is a hangout for hundreds of Glasseye snapper. They are a marvel to watch, as they can change color from the deep rusty red you see in your photo to sand white in half a heartbeat. I noticed they seemed to choose the red when alone or with just a few others, and the white when joining a big school.
Fascinating.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
On a recent Blackbeard's trip we dove a double wreck called the Miami/Rita, which is a hangout for hundreds of Glasseye snapper.
SON OF A... That site wasn't on my Blackbeard's trip! Dang!

archman:
SON OF A... That site wasn't on my Blackbeard's trip! Dang!
Here's a short clip of Glasseye snapper on the Miami/Rita this past October where you can see the color shift.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom