Fish ID - What am I eating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey. you are killing us with the suspense!

When are you going to post the ANSWER?!?!?

Inquiring minds MUST know!

~SubMariner~

The predator is the reef lizardfish (Synodus variegatus) and the prey is a juvenile yelloweye leatherjacket (Cantherhinus dumerilii)
If you loook carefully at picture you can see that the leatherjacket has stuck up its major dorsal spine and stopped the lizardfish from engulfing it...eventually the lizardfish couldn't swallow it and just spat it out...was quite entertaining watching from a diver's point of view.

Now.

So the "eye" in the middle of the lizardfish's mouth is actually the leatherjacket's mouth while it's lying on it's side!

oh..........

yup! Spot on!! I was surprised that the leatherjacket survived after being held inside it's mouth for at least 15mins ...didn't even appear to have a scratch on it's body..then again the leatherjacket does have very tough skin compared to "normal" fish
:D

No way you could go out looking for that shot, but you saw it and got a great picture. Brilliant.

Z

Thanks...lucky I guess...I actually saw a torpedo ray on the same dive but couldn't take the shot cos I had the wrong setup!!! Pity I can't carry more than one system ..sigh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom