Fish ID - Lion Fish??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I previously posted some notes about my dive at Airport Beach and the interesting life we saw there. I'm a little weak on my ID of Hawaiian fish (for that matter all fish).

Here is a photo of a fish I saw which I though was a Hawaiian lion fish - but I'm really not sure what it was. I saw a bunch of these all in the same head of coral.
Any help on exactly what this was?

Attachments

• lion1-shrunk1.jpg
    lion1-shrunk1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 149
I thought you had a lion fish in one of your other pics.....have to go look again

Oh and the pic that you have titled yellow frog fish is actually a leaf scorpion (unless I'm over looking something).

i'm not sure what that is, but it is not a lionfish

lionfish are very distinctive

red-lionfish-3907.jpg

we have two different kinds of lion fish...and both are endemic to Hawaii

greenlionHM103.jpg

hawaiianlionHM103.jpg

The green one is pretty small, about 2.5-3" and the other one, with spines, about the size of a softball.

nice ... our lionfish here in florida are exotics... basically someone dumped one from an aquarium and they managed to survive

They are very cool...saw tons of them in the red sea......are they messing the eco system there in any way?

well, not yet ... they don't seem to be reproducing fast enough

so let's keep our fingers crossed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom