Fish ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micboucher

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found this little guy at Butterfly House and it was only about 5-6 in long. It looks like a juvenile Rosy Rockfish but are they usually in this area? If not, does anyone know what it is?

IMG_1659_copy2.jpg

Looks like a vermillion rockfish.

But I don't think the vermillion have the white spots like this one. :confused:

Starry Rockfish also has the white spots, but I think it looks more like a Rosy.

It's a rosy.

Here is a picture of a starry (which are typically a deeper species) : DSC_0668

And some of Juvie Rosies:
DSC_0937
DSC_0003.jpg

Thanks Rob! So, I guess they're pretty common in Monterey?

Thanks Rob! So, I guess they're pretty common in Monterey?

I see them at Lobos pretty regularly. I'm just a fish novice so I can't tell you if they are actually a deeper species, but I know that I personally usually see them deeper (100'+).

I've seen vermillions with all kinds of spots and blotches and various markings, so that's not a big deal for ID. OTOH, I don't know that I've ever actually seen a rosy rockfish, so I could be all wet (stuck in landlocked Idaho at the moment, I can only wish!).

According to my copy of Pacific Coast Inshore Fishes (4th ed. Revised), the Rosy Rockfish can be distinguished from the Starry Rockfish by noticing that the Starry has "numerous small white spots covering the body" while the Rosy has "four or five white blotches on the back [that] have purplish-red borders."

The picture for the Rosy is a dead ringer for Michele's fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom