Fish ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We found this guy yesterday at the Breakwater in about 35 fsw, sort of hiding back in the rocks. The picture is horrible; my camera was having focusing issues at the time. I took two shots of this fish, and the other one is worse. Anyway, I'm hoping somebody can help me ID him, because I can't find a match. The shape doesn't really say rockfish, he's more like some kind of perch, but not really. And the spots are throwing me big time. His eye was kind of yellow, which made me think opaleye, but the spots don't fit at all. So I'm stumped. I know it's not much of a shot to go on, but does anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

mystery_fish.jpg

I think you're correct. I have seen schools of Blacksmith in the spring at MacAbee Beach.

I sharpened the pic as best I could in Photoshop. It was even worse before I started. My Canon A630 can take some fantastic pictures, but when it gets in a mood, it really bugs me sometimes.

Blacksmith. I do believe you fellers are correct. Thanks!

The aquarium also has them. That is how I recognized the Blacksmith near breakwater from viewing them at the aquarium. There are schools in the spring when the sea lion pups are around. It says that they do not school, but there were many small about 4-5" swimming together or the sea lions were making them swim together.

Interesting. So it's not only a first for us but it's something unusual for the area. I like that. This guy was probably about 7-8" long and solitary. We were getting buzzed off and on by a group of about 6 sea lions for most of the dive, so I guess it's not surprising that he was back in that crevice hiding!

Back
Top Bottom