Fish ID Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HomerNau

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy a book which I can ID fish, coral etc.
I am specifically looking for a very good book for Sodwana, South-Africa and Ponta do oruo, Mozambique.

Can anybody suggest a very good book that will cover as much sea life in this area as possible?

Thanks
:coffee:

Hi there

There's a great fish book (if you can get hold of it)
Indian Ocean Reef Guide: Maldives, Sri Lanka, Thailand, South Africa [Hardcover]
Helmut Debelius (Author) - Indian Ocean Reef Guide: Maldives, Sri Lanka, Thailand, South Africa: Amazon.co.uk: Helmut Debelius: Books

Very handy for trips to other destinations too.

Otherwise, the Two Oceans book is good, particularly for South Africa and includes corals and other marine life and you might find this more useful if you're interested in nudibranchs, corals, and other crustaceans. Two Oceans: A Guide To Marine Life Of Sa - Marine - George & Margo Branch, Charles Griffiths, Lynnath Beckley, 0 , - 9781770077720 | RHS

Hope these help!

:D

My personal favorite for fish is the Collins Pocket Guide to Coral Reef Fishes by Ewald Lieske and Robert Myers. Comprehensive, small in size and good illustrations. The book by Debelius mentioned above is also quite good.

For corals Veron's Corals of the World is probably the best but its big and a bit technical.

Another good general purpose book is Indo Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide by Gerald Allen and Roger Steen. Covers most major animal groups including corals and fish. Not the best for any one kind but a good general guide.

Thanks

Got the book Two Oceans. Very good book for diving South Africa reefs.

Thanks

I will look in to the other books mentioned above. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom