fish ID book recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCMZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a basic fish identification guide that covers the Monterey area. I'd love to get a little better at putting names on all the great fish I see! Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hands down, the best fish ID book I own is Milton Love's Certainly More than You Want to Know about the Fishes of the Pacific Coast.. The book is delightfully written, profusely illustrated, and includes many interesting vignettes about the fish. It's also very funny. If you can even remotely envision a fish ID book you would read for fun before bed, this book is it. I absolutely cannot say enough good things about it.

I recently came across "Pacific Coast (Audubon Society Nature Guides)". It's got a picture section for identifying the critters followed by a written section with more information. It's not going to be the most comprehensive book out there on all the fishes of the Pacific Coast, but it has served me well in identifying the shellfish, sponges, rockfish, inverts, and birds I've encountered so far in Monterey/Carmel :)

Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest, Revised and Expanded Second Edition by Andy Lamb and Phil Edgell is worth having but is more for the PNW than California (lots of overlap with our area though). The Humann and Love books are also great.

Disclaimer: I've made minor unpaid contributions to all 3 books so I'm a bit biased.

Clinton

Thanks everyone! I ordered the Humann book and will check out the others too.

Back
Top Bottom