Fish finders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a fish finder. Having done a little research it looks like the $300-$500 range would suit my needs. Any brands to avoid? Real lemons? Any highly recommended? Thanks, Hank

Chuck Tribolet:
How about a little more information:

What kind of boat is it going to go on?
Are you Just looking for structure to dive, or for fish too?
In what depth range?
Fresh water or salt water?

Boat: 22 foot, DeepV, center console
Looking for structure and fish
down to 1000 ft or so
Salt water

I've been told so far that Furuno 600L and Raymarine DS400 and 500 good and to stay away from Lowrance (spelling ?). Also been told it's better to get the transom mount than the thru hull transducer due to glass thickness in a smaller boat. Thanks Chuck, Hank

Furunos are good units. I had an old Lowrance that came with my boat - it fizzled out, but the factory sent me a new one for $169 which was a little cheaper than the $1,500 replacement cost. It has a GPS in it as well and they threw in a new antenna wire. Nice people. Lowrance would not be my first choice for a unit, but I was pleasantly surprised with the factory, and the unit is pretty good.
It has the transom transducer. I'm a firm believer in thru-hull tranducers, but they're pretty expensive for a good one and installation and alignment can be tricky. When I throw the boat on a trailer and get a tow vehicle, a thru-hull is in the works.
I've never seen one, but Interphase makes a forward-looking fishfinder that sounds pretty cool for diving and spotting fish AHEAD of the boat instead of under it.
http://www.interphase-tech.com/outlook.htm
The beauty of the Raytheon units is that if you have an autopilot, it's probably made by them, so hooking up all the electronics - GPS, fishfinder, autopilot, radar is easier when one company makes all the components. Raytheon is good stuff, and the RayTalk is a good interface.
I know there's an industry standard NMEA 0183 interface, but if you have X-brand trying to talk to Y-brand, it doesn't always translate.

Tom Winters:
Furunos are good units. .

Furuno was recommended highly by quite a few people. Raymarine also. It was a flip of the coin more or less but I ordered a Raymarine DX400X with transom mount. I'm a little leary of putting a hole in my hull plus the thru hull transducers cost about $350 more. I think it'll do for what I want it for. Mainly looking for rock or coral outcroppings on the drop offs of the inside cayes around this area. Lots of fish hang out there. It also can see to 1000 feet or so in blue water. Not a bad price either. Hopefully I'll get to try it this weekend if Customs cooperates. Thanks for your advice Tom. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom