Fish Database

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, everyone..!

Here is something that I have been working on for a while... wonder if any of you have any suggestions about the implementation.

http://www.rothschilddesign.com/fishdatabase

Moving the images to a formal online database would have been a bit more work, so I just went with a big Web page of thumbnails with captions generated by Photo Mechanic - the page itself is searchable and in alphabetical order, though.

Also, feel free to let me know if there are any obvious identification errors! I tried very hard not to ID a species unless I was fairly sure...

Thanks!

Mike

That's excellent, Mike! I'm bookmarking it.

Hi DoctorMike,

Your website was a real treat for me for a couple of reasons. The fish that I recognized came from my days living on the east coast and your site brought forth a sense of nostalgia. For those that I didn't recognize, my experience is mostly in Pacific fishes, so it was nice to see some Atlantic species.

BTW, I think you meant "smooth trun(k)fish."

Cheers!

I so appreciate the personal effort that went into this.

If you don't mind my suggesting it. I imagine if this was the start of some "open source" kind of page where all scuba board members can make a contribution from their own collections and this would then continue to grow.

That would really be something. Scuba Board's very own fish database.

Hi DoctorMike,

Your website was a real treat for me for a couple of reasons. The fish that I recognized came from my days living on the east coast and your site brought forth a sense of nostalgia. For those that I didn't recognize, my experience is mostly in Pacific fishes, so it was nice to see some Atlantic species.

BTW, I think you meant "smooth trun(k)fish."

Cheers!

Whoops! Thanks so much for the pickup! Will fix that now...

Glad you liked it...

Mike

I so appreciate the personal effort that went into this.

If you don't mind my suggesting it. I imagine if this was the start of some "open source" kind of page where all scuba board members can make a contribution from their own collections and this would then continue to grow.

That would really be something. Scuba Board's very own fish database.

That's a really good idea! There is this: Fish: Search FishBase
which is sort of open source in that anyone can contribute images, but a ScubaBoard specific site would be a fun project...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom