first wet-suit purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my first wetsuit and need some input. The cheaper, the better, but i'm looking for a suit that I can dive in lake temps ranging from a high of 80 F to a low of around 60 F and not have two differnet suits. I'm leaning towards Henderson or scubapro. I'm also thinking about getting a scubapro .5mm dive skin for warm water and to wear under my main wetsuit since they're around $100. Any suggestions are welcome. I've been diving a sherwood 6.5mm farmer john (all the lds has... no fulls), but the water's too cold for sleeveless... thanks

Unless you are really cold blooded, a 5 mm should do OK. But you may want to add a vest for the low 60's, and it will be pretty hot while getting ready to dive when water is 80. I like the .5 mm SP for water in the 80's but it is not warm enough for my wife. I would not wear a .5 mm under the Gold Core. It would add very little neoprene, be a PITA to get on, and may compromise the seal of the gold core. Much of the comfort of the gold core come from the excellent seals (with back zip versions) which minimize water flow rather than just depending on the insulation.

approach to diving wet.

Basic suit is a 3mm two-piece O'Neill suit.

For warm water (>85F) dives I wear the long-sleeve shorty jacket only. For temps 75-85F I add the farmer john.

Colder still, I can add a 2mm vest, hood, gloves....this combination keeps me comfortable to about 55-60F for 2-3 dives.

I would overheat in a 5mm in 80F. My buddy dives a 5mm Henderson goldcore in 85+F with no problems tho...she's thermally challenged tho. Wears sweaters in the summer...

The tough part is when the air temp is >100F and below the thermocline is <60F...standing in the sun with a lot of black neoprene on gets unpleasant pretty quickly. Makes you learn to gear up in an expedient manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom