First UW Camera G 15 or LX7/D LUX 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey,
I want to start with UW Photography. Because of weight an other factors it will be a compact. I did a lot of reading on the internet and have narrowed down the choice to two or threee cameras. There are some things I really want in the camera, so please only name another camera if it fits all these criteria:
- compact camera (doesn't have to fit in a pocket)
- brigth lense (because of budget reasons a strobe comes later, at the start I will only use a UW light for macro and no light at all for the rest)
- good macro capability (1cm focal point should be possible)
- good manual mode (I'm a beginner, but I will get in photography and want to have good manual controls)
- price for the camera alone should be under 500€, max I am willing to spend is 600 (I know that the housing will cost between 500 -1000 € extra)

So I came up with these three cameras: Canon G 15, Panasonic Lumix LX 7 and Leica D LUX 6(almost identical to the LX 7, but better software package, better Warranty, and better customer service than panasonic; only a choice if I can get a good deal on it through a friend).On tests the G 15 and LX 7 come very close together. So here my pros and cons so far to the cameras.

The Canon G 15:
- 12 MP
- optical viewfinder
- wide variety of UW housings (which on would you recommend?)
- good menu structure

The Panasonix Lumix LX 7.
- faster shooting times
- faster and brigther lens
- better for wide angle 24mm vs 28 on the canon (how big is the difference in real life?)
- seems to have a messed up menu where it is really hard to find some settings (here the Leica seems to be a lot better)
- "only 10 MP"
- better Video capability (at the moment doesn't matter much, looking for photo)

So please give me your opinions on the cameras. I haven't listed the leica above, because if buying Leica or Panasonic is just a matter of the price I can get on the Leica. So far I just need help deciding between Canon and Panasonic. Would be nice to hear about their ease of use underwater.

What housing do you use for your RX 100? And how about macro? Do you need a special wet lens for that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom