First two dives without our instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holstin,

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I think one thing you learned was the conservative nature of the tables. Over time you'll want to throw them away :) because they'll really limit your diving (not all dives are max depth for the entire time).

Still, it is important to dive a plan. My wife and I were challenged with this recently in Roatan. We are computer divers with watches/tables as backup. The bottom was 110ft, which was the max for our Nitrox mix anyway. My wife and I weren't 100% comfortable with being right at our MOD, so we set a depth limit for ourselves before we jumped in.

It was a mental challenge watching a few divers at the bottom of the wreck at 110 and forcing ourselves to stay at 90 and up, but it was our plan and we stuck to it. That's the important part.

It definitely sounds like you have a great attitude and are thinking about the right things. My only advice is while you are new, be conservative so when you do forget to look at a guage, it doesn't turn into a major problem. When checking gauges is 2nd nature, then you can start to stretch things a bit.

our first dive was at 46 minutes for 24 minutes.

See, there's your problem right there... you new guys are always out to warp space-time and you have to be DIR/GUE/Super-tech fundie approved to do that.:D

No worries about your 3 feet - you did well and seem to have a plan and a grasp of they way you know things should be.

Last edited:
If you added your saftey stop assumin 3 minutes and then rounded your actual bottom time of 26 minutes to 30 minutes you are being conservative on a square profile. Obviously your computer is calculating multi level benefiting you more ndl time.

i ment 46 feet not 46 minutes.

Of course you did and we all completely understood it. I just took the opportunity to suggest that you weren't trying anything completely out of your realm there and the joke got missed.

Humor on these boards is very difficult to conveigh and I seem to have an especially hard time at doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom