First trip to the Phillipines!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zynyx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I'm cosidering a trip to the Phillipines in late April. I've never been before, so I'll ask the question you guys probably hear the most here:

Where should I go to dive for my first trip there!?!? Cheap accommodations are good, I have a salary, but I like to travel on the cheap. I dive to take photos mostly and have an AOW license with Nitrox certs and about 40 dives. I will be bringing a buddy with about 10 dives under his belt and an OW license. We may do some together, but I'll definitely do some without him. I need some easy dives for him, but I'd definitely like to do a few deeper dives as well as getting some photos of any unique undersea wildlife to the area.

Dive shops that offer additional training (as I like to teach myself 1 new skill when I go on a dive trip) is a plus.

There is some really beautiful diving on Apo Island, plenty of photo ops, and suited for a beginner. It's pretty remote. Prices are reasonable. Check Liberty Lodge.

If it's a photo trip, Anilao is a very good place for macro.

lodging can be from less than 1 thousand pesos per night (this is usually the dorm type rooms/bunk beds with a common bathroom, kitchen access so you can cook for yourself. Or give the caretakers a couple of hundred so they prepare the meal for you). Resorts with own bathroom/ac and meals are usually PhP 3k/room + around 1k for 4 buffet meals. Some resorts offer very good rates if only doing shore entry (unli dives/tanks for 600 per day in Planet Dive). In anilao, divers usually share the boat fee. More divers, cheaper rates. I also have a DM friend that charges fixed PhP700 per boat dive per person. So whether there are 6 or 2 divers, you just pay 700/diver.

Padre Burgos, in Southern Leyte, has superb wall dives, great macro, and a fabulous night dive with lots of unusual critters. In late April you should still be able to see whale sharks so take a wide angle lens!

There is some really beautiful diving on Apo Island, plenty of photo ops, and suited for a beginner. It's pretty remote. Prices are reasonable. Check Liberty Lodge.

We are diving here right now.

If you want to stay on the island there are cheap homestays - including with the ex-barangay-captain and legendary diver Mario, for very cheap. As an alternate to the island, try staying in Dauin. Accomodation can be had cheaply, and then you get all the amazing critters at Dauin as well as Apo Island. Don't get me wrong - Apo is amazing, but I reckon the diversity of critters in Dauin is even better if photography is an aim.

We chose Dauin over Apo today. Today's diving: flamboyant cuttlefish feeding, blueringed octopus, seven kinds of pipefish including ornate and ghost, garden eels, triggerfish, umpteen kinds of nudi, etc etc etc. I love coral and could float around in Rock West out at Apo (the sanctuary is destroyed at present) forever, but for weird and wonderful Dauin is hard to beat.

EDIT: how could I forget? 2 stargazers!

3 dives at Siquijor Island tomorrow :)

Our verdict on this trip so far, 4.5 weeks in:

Malapascua (10/10)
Bohol (9/10)
Moalboal (6/10)
Dauin/Apo (10/10)

Look for a full trip report with vids in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Zynyx,

You have a lot of choices! I have been to Subic Bay and Puerto Galera. Subic Bay is nice for wrecks, PG has some great drift dives. If you wanted to add Deep Diver, Wreck or Search & Recovery or other PADI Specialties...you should have no problem finding a shop that will provide those. I think you will find a wide range of accommodation costs to fit your budget in both places.

Other places on my list this year... Moalboal, Anilao and Dumaguete. The last two are well known for great macro photo opportunities.

Subic and Anilao are easy drives/rides from Manila. PG is an easy drive/ride and a boat ride. Dumaguete adds an extra domestic flight, but still pretty easy to get to.

Other recommendations provided are also on my todo list...
Malapascua and Bohol.
One thing to ask. Are you looking for some night life or do you plan to relax and go through all the great pictures you took for the day? Some locations have more night life opportunities than others.

I would recommend southern Leyte. Most dives are easy with great corals. Walls at napantau are good, limasawa island is beautiful, and you can have great macro with black sand dives at ghost town and silt muck diving at little lembeh dive sites. Plus in April you may be lucky to see whalesharks of they are around, but when I was there mid April 2010 they weren't (they had actually disappeared from the feb which was unusual). Then there is the padre Burgos pier night dive, which is phenomenal!! So the place has it all. Not much in way of beaches though! Maybe combine with Bohol.

Best value for money:
Fly into Cebu and take a public bus to Moalboal.
Dive with Nelson(Ocean Safari) and stay next door(Eve's Kiosk).

Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find in one stop!
Only 2 hour drive south of Manila, with a 45 min boat ride to sabang beach, with Little LaLaguna and Big LaLaguna beach's a short walk away! Many dive shops and places to stay that won't break your budget!
Flying down to Dumagete, for Apo Is., add's $$$ to your cost, as does Cebu! All are great diving! It will depend on what you are willing to spend! Inexpensive accomodations can be found at most destination's, with the diving $ also not going to break the budget!
Your in for a GREAT time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom