First Trip to Jamaica, what dive shop to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Captains Watersports as the on site dive shop at the resort we stayed at. They do several resorts and have a main location. I didn't use them for training, but had a very Jamaican, laid back, relaxed yet beautiful dive experience.

If your going to MoBay, you definitely want to dive on Airport wall, widdowmakers chimney, and the associated reefs. At the beginning of June, had 83* temps to 115 ft with almost unlimited viz.

In all just remember, you are in Jamaica and operating on Jamaica time. It's not like the rest of the world. (it's better!)

Hey there, here's my report on the dive in Jamaica. SunDivers was a great choice.

Glad to hear it!

We are heading down to Negril in May 2013 for our tenth wedding anniversary, and will be using SunDivers again.

Great info Rhino3201, thanks for the update.

I'm heading to Montego Bay this Thursday and plan to dive with Jamaica Scuba Ltd. They will pick me up and drive me Runaway Bay as well. I heard good feedback about using Jamaica Scuba Ltd, and plan to have a great time. This will be my first boat dive so I'm ready and anxious to see the clear waters. I can't wait!

The mistake I made was with the PayPal accoutn. If you already have an account, then it should be easy. I messed up and only put in $1 instead of $41. $1 to set up the account, the other $40 to reserve the dive. I think the site to register on is divejamaica.com. A quick phone call to sun divers and a chat with Christian will get you set up. The international call is about $7 but worth a quick call. Check your email often and make your reservation early. I waited about a week out and it nearly cost me a dive. I'd say a good month out is a safe time to work out any problems. Again, I highly recommend them. They are a great company with great people. I took my own gear so I can't speak for the gear, but they are affiliated with PADI, so I would assume the gear is pretty good. SunDivers has a web site. I will look when I get home and give you the contact numbers and definite email/ register site later tonight. Have fun, which I were going back in October!

---------- Post Merged at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Let me know how it went.

---------- Post Merged on July 18th, 2012 at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 17th, 2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

Hey, I appologize, I thought my response posted, so here it is again. I made a mistake when I initally tried to make the reservation. I messed up the PayPal account signing up. It was totally my fault and I did not allow myself enough time to make sure everything was right before I went there. Any way, Christian did try to contact me by email, but it was too late. I had his number though and a call was made, and luckily his driver was only 10 minutes from me. So I still made the dive. I recommend you start your booking process afew weeks in advance. That would make sure everything goes smooth. SunDivers has a couple of phone numbers to call, but you have to register online to go dive. I think the website to make the reservation is on the web site for SunDivers. If I find everything, I'll let you know the website and the contact number. Christian with SunDivers will also let you know everything you need to do. Have a great trip and I hope everything works out for you. Let me know if there is any thing else I can do and let me know how your trip goes.

---------- Post Merged on July 18th, 2012 at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 17th, 2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

I will try that next time I go.

Hey there, here's my report on the dive in Jamaica. SunDivers was a great choice. I made a mistake in attempting to book the reservation, but it all worked out. They still came and picked me up. Luckily, the driver was only about ten minutes from where i was and doubled back to pick me up. We went to Runaway Bay about an hour from Montego Bay for the dive. It was a "boat dive" in the sense we got in a boat and wemt about 300 yards off shore and hopped into the water, but once we did it was great. The bottom was sandy but had coral growing up. They called it a wall dive, but it was more like splitting two different coral heads. I went to a depth of about 70' and the water clarity was amaizing. The fish wer not the biggest but plentiful. Parrot fish, clown fish, and unfortunatly Lion Fish have made their way to the waters. Stacy, the dive master said they speared them every time they saw them. The only two I saw were actually at the resort I was at and did not see any on the dive. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8. I haven't been in water that clear in a long time with that good of vis, so maybe I'm a little over excited. I'd recommend SunDivers to anyone. They were nice and professional. I am probably going back in a few years and see if the fish have improved. Did see lobster, shrimp, and beautifly colored sponges also. Thanks again for the advice, if I can ever help, let me know.:cool2:

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Hey Planeguy, I would highly recommend SunDivers if you ever go back, read my post about the trip. They were a great choice and I would use them again. Hope you have had some better dives since the last post. No oily taste to the air, and a great staff. Let me know if I can ever give any advice. If I make any other trips, I'll let you know how they go.

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 PM ----------

I'd like to hear how your trip goes, I'm back from mine and had a great time.

The Runaway Bay Dive Center is Jamaica Scuba Divers Jamaica SCUBA Divers - A PADI Gold Palm Diving Center with three locations from Negril to Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. and the Negril dive Center is Sun Divers SUNDIVERS NEGRIL JAMAICA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom