First Trip to Jamaica, what dive shop to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhino3201

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK SCUBA BOARDERS, been a long time since I came to you all for advice. Surprised I remembered how to log on. Any way, I am going to Jamaica in June. I already know it is not the most spectacular place to dive, but hey, it's getting wet right!? So, what I need to know is what to expect as far as dive shops/ trips. I will most likely be staying in Montego Bay, but I understand Negril Bay has the better diving. So, any suggestions from those of you that have been there? I am probably looking at making at least two days of boat dives, figure a two or three tank dive. Also, I am a rescue diver, but will most likely be diving with a Basic Diver. So, help as much as possible. I have already seen the site for Sun Divers Negril and Captain's Dive Center. Anyone ever use either? Thanks for the help in advance.:cool2:

We've been to Negril twice. First time we dove with the on-site at Couples, second time we dove with SunDivers. We preferred SunDivers due to the fact that they offer a traditional two-tank dive trip, as opposed to the resort which only did one tank in the morning, and then one in the afternoon. SunDivers also picked us up at the resort and took us to their shop (this was a couple of years ago, so I would confirm in advance whether they still do that). We are planning to go back to Negril next year, and will probably use SunDivers again.

The primary thing that stuck out to us between our two trips (2003 and 2008) was the improvement of the reefs and the fish counts between the two trips. We are hoping that we will see a similar level of improvement in 2013.

Regardless of where you dive and who you dive with, please report back on your trip.

rhino I did my Open Water certification dives in Montego Bay just a few weeks ago. I did it with a dive shop the Ritz Carlton recommended called Dive Sea World. Big mistake! First of all they quoted me a price of $400 to do the 4 dives. When I arrived they told me it would be $550 to which I showed them the email I had printed confirming the price for me. Then I was told since I did my training under an SSI shop that I had to be certified under their PADI rules. I had been told that with the Universal Referral letter that this was not needed. Then they tried to sell me another text book but luckily I had mine with me. After that they refused to write my dives off in the logbook I had purchased at my home dive shop. Instead I had to pay $25 for a PADI logbook which started out at $35 but I kept refusing to pay it! Their air tanks also had an oily taste to the air which made me nauseated and they kept telling me it was the small boat we were on until I informed them I was a boater and had never been sea sick. Then they said it was my inner ear, which I informed them I am a pilot and I had flown down the day before with no problems. I kept telling them the air had an oily taste but they kept putting me off. If I were you I would avoid Dive Sea World. Oh, they also had me doing things for the Advanced Open Water certification which is not what I was doing. I had to take another written exam also that was titled Advanced Open Water Instructor and when I brought that to their attention they just shrugged and said that was the exam. My home dive shop was totally outraged by this. I will not however let this experience dull my excitement and enthusiasm I have for diving. It is a totally awesome sport.

Thanks Jim, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I looked at the web site for Sun Divers and sent an email, but have not gotten a reply yet. Guess the next step is to call about a week before I go. Glad to hear the reefs are picking up. I've read Jamaica is trying to restore the reefs. I will definately report back on the trip. I'm going in late June, so it will be a minute. Thanks again for the info. This is why I like the Board!

Thanks Planeguy, Like I told ibj40, this is the kind of info I am looking for. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Trust me, not all places are like the one you encountered. And congrats for coming to Scuba Board. It took me a few years to find it, and there is a world of info here. Definately will not be using Dive Sea World. Welcome to the world of diving. It gets a lot better than the experience you had. Thanks for the info, and look for my report on my trip in early July on how the trip went, I will do at least one dive trip, maybe two. but I am definately looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Thanks. I will not let one bad experience deter my love of the new sport I just discovered. I am so excited about diving in the Bahamas next month!

im going in April to GPLH (between MB and Negril) and its my first trip to Jamaica. Let you know after i'll come back

Hey there, here's my report on the dive in Jamaica. SunDivers was a great choice. I made a mistake in attempting to book the reservation, but it all worked out. They still came and picked me up. Luckily, the driver was only about ten minutes from where i was and doubled back to pick me up. We went to Runaway Bay about an hour from Montego Bay for the dive. It was a "boat dive" in the sense we got in a boat and wemt about 300 yards off shore and hopped into the water, but once we did it was great. The bottom was sandy but had coral growing up. They called it a wall dive, but it was more like splitting two different coral heads. I went to a depth of about 70' and the water clarity was amaizing. The fish wer not the biggest but plentiful. Parrot fish, clown fish, and unfortunatly Lion Fish have made their way to the waters. Stacy, the dive master said they speared them every time they saw them. The only two I saw were actually at the resort I was at and did not see any on the dive. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8. I haven't been in water that clear in a long time with that good of vis, so maybe I'm a little over excited. I'd recommend SunDivers to anyone. They were nice and professional. I am probably going back in a few years and see if the fish have improved. Did see lobster, shrimp, and beautifly colored sponges also. Thanks again for the advice, if I can ever help, let me know.:cool2:

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Hey Planeguy, I would highly recommend SunDivers if you ever go back, read my post about the trip. They were a great choice and I would use them again. Hope you have had some better dives since the last post. No oily taste to the air, and a great staff. Let me know if I can ever give any advice. If I make any other trips, I'll let you know how they go.

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 PM ----------

I'd like to hear how your trip goes, I'm back from mine and had a great time.

Hi,

WHat's the mistake in attempting to book a reservation at Sun Divers? I emailed one of the Negril dive centres a while back but got no reply so it's difficult to work out if they are still in business!! I am off to Negril in October and hoping to do some diving while I am there. Can I assume that I can just contact Sun Divers when I get there? Is the rental equipment in good shape?

Thanks

RHino I am glad you had a great dive. I have had one really nice dive in Nassau since my trip to Montego Bay. If we go back to Jamaica next winter I will check out the place you went to. It sounds a lot better than Dive Sea World!

Back
Top Bottom