First Trip to CoCo View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings from North Carolina,
Getting ready for my first trip to Roatan, in 2 weeks. Any suggetions from anyone who has been lately? How was the diving, is a wet suit recommended? Thanks for the help. See you on the bottom.

Welcome to the board.
Depending on your personal comfort something between a skin and a 3mm is about right. We were there last Oct and I wore a fleece lined skin the entire trip, fine for me. If you are prown to seasickness you might want to stock up on SS meds. The seas are calm by NC standards but we did have a couple to get sick. From what I have read the bugs can get bad at times so some cans of bug spray are a good idea. They were not bad while we were there but you never know.

Once your back, come join us on the NC board. Lot of local divers and a good place to find a dive buddy. There is a link below my sig.

I was just there in August, but we stayed on the north side of the island, at Anthony's Key, so we dove the north, west side most of the time. However, we were able to dive a few times on the CoCo View side. Mary's Place is a popular dive spot on the south side and I really enjoyed the dive. I wore a 3mm, which was perfect for me, but I am somewhat cold natured. I agree that most people were wearing a skin to 3mm.

Take a trip to West Bay Beach, if you get the chance ... it's one of my favorite beaches in the Carribean.

I was just at Coco View two weeks ago. Great time! Your questions are hard to answer but I can tell you that the water temp was about 84 degrees and will be for you too. That is the only constant. The seas could be calm as glass or they could be as high as 4-6ft swells like we had a day or two. Viz ranged from 10 feet at times to 100 feet depending on the site and the conditions. It was VERY breezy all week for us but it never interfered with the diving. I do suggest a full 1-3mm suit. Eventhough the water is warm, you will be in the water A LOT so you will get chilled.

Oh, the other constant is that you will have a blast!!! Coco View is perhaps THE place to DYAO. In one day I spent over 6 hours in the water. Enjoy!

Having spent 2 months in Roatan this past winter and logged 127 dives there.my best advice is TAKE LOTS OF BUG SPRAY..
The little critters are voracious down there..
That said the diving is great and people are friendly
Water temps should range between 78 - 83 degrees I get cold easy and was glad I had brought my 5mm full suit as the 3mm did not cut it doing 3 - 4 dives per day.
If you get the chance try to arrange a trip with WAIHUKA Adventure diving center for one of their shark encounters ...worth every dollar ( about 75 of them)

Have a great trip and be sure to post a report when you get back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom