First trip to bonaire need plenty of advise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At Wannadive we try to have another solution available: We have several locations available to swap tanks. That way there is no need to take multiple tanks. I've measured it: it takes a drive of seven minutes from vista blue to our windsock location at a slow pace. It takes ten minutes from 79 (or so) steps (as opposed to thousand :) ) to our Eden location. And if you choose to have Lunch at City Cafe, well swap tanks there. With the added benefit of the availability of a quick rinse of people and gear for the proper functioning of both :) The exception obviously would be Slagbaai.

Having said that, Wannadive does NOT restrict the amount, nor the times to take tanks, but we do ask guests to be considerate for two reasons: 1/ the possible theft, for the obvious reasoning that if there is no opportunity then nothing will get stolen, and 2/ With regular swapping we have the opportunity to fill the tanks back up so as to have a constant supply and such during regular hours, rather than cutting in our beer time :)

I agree with dive maven, but for another reason. With the above in mind, I have, I am and I will refuse to have perps alter the way we enjoy Bonaire, and adapt the system, to be replaced by a more restrictive system!

Before this thread becomes another opportunity for bashing Bonaire and its crime and silly threats of not coming to Bonaire because of it: feel free to go to.........say ........Jamaica
M2C

OK here is my 2 psi on Bonaire. I echo most all that has been previously posted. Do make sure and get the pick-up truck with you package. It comes with a wooden rack in the back to place the tanks on. Most all the truck look very similar, take a little toy, water bottle or something to put on the metal rack that comes up behind the rear window to help you identify your truck, it will help.

Supermarkets there are quite a few and ALL have different hours of operation, it can be confusing.
Warehouse, by the airport, Cultimare, in down town, Asian Supermarket, the opposite direction frm Warehouse at the crossroad/round about by Bonco, I think this is the new name, it used to be Lisa Gas and further East from Warehouse is a market that I don't know the name of but its near China Nobo.
There is also More for Less, or something like that, that is on the road back behind the big church downtown, just be patient it is on the right side of the road.

Get Susan's book, Get Susan's book. get Susan's book, get IT.....

There are quite a few sandy and/or stable rock entrances, just be careful, watch the exits, the sea is unforgiving with gear on your back.

I echo the house reef for your night dives. One of my favorites is Bari reef. Although they now discourage outside use of their dock...Andre' is an old grump these days...lol

I personally love the Belmare Resort in Belnam. This is south of the town and the airport. Nice friendly place to stay and the dive shop is associated with Buddy dive, so you can get tanks there as well and use their facilities with no charge. Did I mention they have a VERY centrally located pool there! And a separate dock for sunbathers. Heck, even Buddy dive is a great op with great people.

Go to Bonaire Talk, years worth of info at your finger tips and even more opinions to be had.

Need to contact the states....go see Michael at Chat and Browse he will rent you a phone and provide minutes WAAAAAY cheaper than using your phone. These days I SKYPE to keep connected and of course Email.

I have dove all over the Caribbean and other countries and I agree that Bon has its problems but they are nothing compared to some other countries I have traveled to for diving. Use common sense, except for maybe the windows down thing, NO valuables left in the truck. Just dive with the keys, no biggy. I have always wanted to leave a big helping of EXLAX in the truck for one of those stealing little buggers... night help identify them, if you know what I mean.

You will L O V E it, I am sure. Be sure to visit the Hilma Hooker a great wreck dive and you cannot bust 100 feet at the bottom there, I do it from shore and find the sea life in the shallows a great way to get a long safety stop on the way back. I would also recommend Tori's reef and Ole' Blue or Tolo to some folks. Just drive down the road, south of or north of town and pull over when you see a yellow rock be safe and have fun..

While at the airport getting your luggage be sure and pick up some of the literature at the luggage claim area. There is a little tri-fold publication with all the resorts and happenings as well as restaurant specials, happy hours, dinner all you can eats, etc. etc....can't recall the name right now but it will be helpful.

I'm thinking it's a good thing that SCUBA tanks have not traditionally been made out of COPPER...

At Wannadive we try to have another solution available: We have several locations available to swap tanks. That way there is no need to take multiple tanks. I've measured it: it takes a drive of seven minutes from vista blue to our windsock location at a slow pace. It takes ten minutes from 79 (or so) steps (as opposed to thousand :) ) to our Eden location. And if you choose to have Lunch at City Cafe, well swap tanks there. With the added benefit of the availability of a quick rinse of people and gear for the proper functioning of both :) The exception obviously would be Slagbaai.

Having said that, Wannadive does NOT restrict the amount, nor the times to take tanks, but we do ask guests to be considerate for two reasons: 1/ the possible theft, for the obvious reasoning that if there is no opportunity then nothing will get stolen, and 2/ With regular swapping we have the opportunity to fill the tanks back up so as to have a constant supply and such during regular hours, rather than cutting in our beer time :)

I agree with dive maven, but for another reason. With the above in mind, I have, I am and I will refuse to have perps alter the way we enjoy Bonaire, and adapt the system, to be replaced by a more restrictive system!

Before this thread becomes another opportunity for bashing Bonaire and its crime and silly threats of not coming to Bonaire because of it: feel free to go to.........say ........Jamaica
M2C

so if a tank is stolen from you truck, are we held responsible for it, money wise?

Katy:

I've been to Eden Beach resort which uses WannaDive; since you don't sign out specific tanks (like recording serial #'s or anything like that), they'd have no way to know if a tank comes up missing, who took it out. Unless the customer came up & said 'Hey, I took a couple of tanks out & someone stole one out of the truck while I was diving.'

Which would be noble for the customer to do, of course.

Richard.

I've been to Eden Beach resort which uses WannaDive; since you don't sign out specific tanks (like recording serial #'s or anything like that), they'd have no way to know if a tank comes up missing, who took it out. Unless the customer came up & said 'Hey, I took a couple of tanks out & someone stole one out of the truck while I was diving.'
Interesting. Most shops require logging of nitrox tanks, including the tank number.

Some of their tanks are Nitrox, some air. If memory serves, people are supposed to sign & write the analyzed percentage of the tanks they are taking if nitrox (say, 30.5%), but not 'Tank # 1004' or anything like that.

I don't know how the other dive shops there have done it. I'd think the high turnover rate with the large volume 'self-serve' setup may've eased up restrictions.

Richard.

I have to add that the boat dives to Klein Bonaire are worth the trip. Not that there's anything wrong with the shore dives, but the boat dives are different - there's a different feel to them. But only do them if you're tired of the shore dives.

A hint for the shore dives - make sure you have thick sole dive boots, the thin ones that are normally used on boat dives will not be as comfortable when making most of the shore dive entrances.

We also bought a $6 "solar shower". Filled it with water and hung it on the side of the truck. It is nice to be able to rinse with warm fresh water after a dive. Since it was $6, it didn't matter if it was stolen. We actually left ours at the condo we rented for future guests to use (we didn't think we could fold it back up nearly as small as it was when we bought it). Bought another one at Walmart for our upcoming trip (in the camping section).

I am planning a trip to Bonaire with the family.

2. Grocery stores?

It seems new ones pop up every year. Here is my list of larger ones:
a) Cultimara is located downtown (sort of by the hospital). They are open 7 days a week now. They are the place if you want to get USA milk (they get it shipped from Miami). The boat typically unloads late Thursday or Friday. Nice selection but on the more expensive side.
b) Bonaire Warehouse on Kaya Industria. Where I get most of my stuff. Fair prices. There is another place across the street (now called Cash & Carry)
c) Flamingo grocery sort of by the Napa just north of town. Variable but OK.
d) More for Less is another very good choice. East of town, past carribean fastners.
e) Don't recall the name. Is it still there? (East of the northern traffic circle)

Smaller (mini-market type places):
a) Exito bakery (downtown).
b) Jokes (sort of by the Carib Inn) -- tiny but they have everything and at very decent prices.
c) Sunshine Market on Kaya Industria.
d) The fruit market on the water in playa (where the fruit boats sell their stuff)
e) Sand Dollar Grocery north of town. Nice but very spendy.
f) Lisa Gas (Or whatever it is called now). On Kaya Industria and open late.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom