First time visit to Belize for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're avid divers and have been diving and loving Bonaire. And now want to try Belize. But i need some help.There's lots of info on live aboards; however, my husband is prone to sea sickness. I assume we should avoid a live aboard or are these ships large enough and stable enough to avoid rocking?Which island is best for diving? Where is the best place to stay on the islands? Our budget is mid-range - not camping on the beach nor staying in a 5 star resort. We want 2 dives daily, don't need any nightlife but do enjoy good food. I have heard that Belize is not to be missed.Thanks for any and all input.

I've never been on a live aboard, but I'm sure others will chime in.

You might want to take a look at the resorts out on the atoll as they offer some fantastic diving: Turneffe Island Resort, Turneffe Flats or Blackbird Caye Resort. These are probably beyond your budget but keep in mind their prices include food, lodging and diving so they aren't as expensive as they might at first appear. I see TIR is currently running a special, which makes it even more affordable. We've been there twice for a total of three weeks and it's our favorite resort on earth.

The majority of tourists and divers head to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. It's got more of everything like dive ops, accommodations, restaurants, night life and, of course, people. If you want something a little smaller take a look further south at Placencia. It has more of a fishing village vibe. The dives are a little further out, but in my five or six weeks there I don't remember anyone ever getting seasick. I love Placencia because even though it feels like an island it's actually connected to the mainland and there are all sorts of jungle related things and sightseeing opportunities right up the road.

If you can narrow down your focus a bit--Belize is a small country but still a big place--you can get lots of specific recommendations.

A good way to get to know the country in advance is get the travel guide Belize Insight Guide. It's a general travel guide so it doesn't have a lot of dive specific information but it's chock full of color photos, maps, and district by district information.

Last edited:
I have only done Belize on a live aboard (will be back for Xmas this year). All liveaboards rock a bit. Not much. How much can your husband take? I have been on huge cruise ships were people turned green while the boat was still at the dock.

Some people stock up on ginger, wear patches or take pills. I have never seen a live aboard diver too sick to dive.

My understanding is that the best diving is tourneffe and lighthouse. The resorts can be a bit rustic since they are on an isolated island. No roads, stores or anything but the resort. Great for relaxing and 2 dives a day.

Ambergris gets more tourists since it is larger, but you get big waves and poorer dive conditions.

Almost all of the resorts feature a day trip to get to the blue hole and half moon caye. Can be up to 3 hour transit each way. Half moon & long caye is where the live aboards spend the whole week.

If you think you can handle it, I recommend a live aboard. You do not have to do all 5 dives every day. It is okay to nap or read a book or just stare at the ocean or clouds.

The Belize Aggressor and the Sun Dancer are the two lives boards available in Belize. They are both very stable platforms. The seas around Belize are calm for the most part. I would venture to say that 95% of the diving in Belize is either done from a small bouncy day boat or a live aboard. On a live aboard the beam and length are bigger so you feel the motion less. You are not pounding out 20 minutes to a couple of hours to and from a dive site but you are anchored above it. Try it and you will not be sorry.

The Belize liveaboards go to the best sites and stay there for the time you are on board. Mostly sheltered, but if the weather kicks up they can be enough to get seasick - particularly early on in the trip. On a typical trip they will be very stable and unless you are very suceptable you will be fine. I get seasick and had some minor issues on the trip out but things settled down pretty quickly once we arrived on site.

Staying on the atols might be your best bet. Close to where the liveaboards dive and very stable:D. Ambergrise and Placencia are a good long run to the good diving. Average diving is close by to Ambergrise. When I did Placencia it was a long ride out to the reef so only did one day's diving.

Belize itself has lots to see and do. On a liveaboard you will do none of these things - except before and or after.

The boats out of AG are more prone to making him sick than a liveaboard.

go out to turneffe as stated earlier - if you are set on Belize.

We just returned from Blackbird Caye. Totally isolated (wonderful), 18 cabanas on a little island. You can fly in on a little plane or take the 1.5 hr. boat ride. Most sites were 5-10 minutes out because the reef is at your doorstep. Great place for relaxing, all inclusive except for booze. Nothing to do but dive, eat, sleep. Just like a liveaboard. Everyone is in bed at 8:30. 3 dives a day, boat returns between all dives for a relaxing surface interval.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful info and gives me lots to research and work from.

If you stay on the Atolls, you will still need to make the boat trip out to the resort. That will be in a small boat. The night moorings for Aggressor and Sundancer 2 are in the middle of the Atoll. I could not imagine it ever being rough inside of the reef. MY point is that if you are going to dive the Atolls, you WILL be spending a couple hours in a boat making an open crossing. I have made this crossing from Belize City to Lighthouse Reef twice on Sundancer II. Both times, it was extremely calm. They usually make the outbound crossing while you are sleeping. Because they are mobile, they can and will find a spot to dive that is calm.

Diving from Placencia means 45-75 minute boat rides on a small boat. It is usually very calm because this trip is inside of the barrier reef. I have made this trip once on a choppy day to Laughing Bird Caye and it still was a pleasant speedboat ride.

All of the 50+ sites off of Ambergris Caye are outside of the reef except for 2 or 3. When the winds come up, diving can be shut down for a few days. There are also many marginal days where the boats go out, but there is a big swell. On those days, most operators stick to sites that are a couple hundred yards outside of the cut in the reef. Most seasickness prone divers will be outside of the reef, but above the water for less than 10 minutes on those days. Make sure your operator knows about your concerns and he will get you in the water quickly. THE HUGE PROBLEM COMES IF YOU GET OUT THERE AND CANNOT DIVE. Then you are stuck bobbing around in a small boat for 45 minutes waiting for the rest of the divers to come up. The diving is almost always great, because it is fairly deep. Many times on a rough day, the viz will be bad <50ft until you get down below 65-75 feet at which time it goes to 100+. I have made about 100 dives off Ambergris Caye in varying conditions. If it is too windy to dive, we hang out. There is always something else to do in San Pedro.

Back
Top Bottom