First time video camera reccommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karyn

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing a video camera that has an available underwater housing. I really do not know much about video cameras, and do not want to spend a lot on my first camera.

I was hoping someone would have some recommendations?

Thanks.

No matter what, you're going to be into it for close to $1000 minimum, so base your decision off of that... go cheap and (relatively) "disposable" as I did with the Sony TRV308, or spend more for a true DV with a firewire output and go ahead and buy insurance for it (flooding is always a "when", not "if").

The cheapest housing I've seen is the basic Ikelite. They're good to 130ft and start at around $600 from Leisurepro. You can go over $3000 on aluminum housings with remote mic's and larger screens. The basic $600 housing forces you to use the camera's viewfinder.

karyn:
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing a video camera that has an available underwater housing. I really do not know much about video cameras, and do not want to spend a lot on my first camera.

I was hoping someone would have some recommendations?

Thanks.

Underwater video can be a very expensive hobby. The housing often costs as much or more than the camcorder.

For camcorders, I suggest a Sony mini dv. They appear to offer the most housing options.

I would buy the camcorder 1st, play around shooting land stuff. Edit a little on your computer. Then decide if you really want to get into underwater video. If so, plan on spending anywhere from $800 to $1500 on a housing.

I'm totally an amateur, but IMHO I still make nice videos with amateur over the counter equipment. If I can do it, you can too.

You can take a look at some of my videos on my website.

http://www.ronrosa.com/ron/scuba.htm

I got a video housing off ebay for $100 that works fine. I'm using it with an old Sony Hi8 camcorder that cost me big bucks when new but is almost worthless now (tr81). This is a great way to get started - especially if you're handy or inventive. For example, my housing had only one twist/push lever to turn the camcorder on/off. I rigged the remote control so that I can use the lever for on/off and zoom in/out. Even without this mod, $100 is a cheap investment in underwater video! Ikelite sells levers....
JVC makes housings for their mini-DV cams that house the flip-out viewer so you can really see what you're filming. These housings start at $300-$350 and are typically good to 30M (100feet). Add a mini-DV from Ebay and you should have an excellent system for ~$700.
Of course you can go the more traditional route that others have posted here, but your question said you don't want to spend a lot and I think $1000 is a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom