First time Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robz-

Just wanted to shoot you a quick hello from a fellow Charlottean. Between us, you, Waterdogs and his future-wife, we've got a regular crew coming together. We'll have to do a BBQ out on the lake one weekend this summer.

You're gonna love diving, but definitely take a course before your trip. The $$$ isn't that bad, roughly $200 or so for the coursework and books, and then you can do your open water dives on your trip. That way you'll feel more comfortable and be able to ENJOY your dives as opposed to being worried about the gear and your technique (although one should ALWAYS worrry about his/her technique).

Welcome aboard.

Hi rob z,

I just went for it because i love the water and everything that has

to do with it.

I'm a newbie and i got bit hard by the scuba bug....now i'm

looking around for other dive shops that would possibly do the

open water certification sooner.....but no luck.

Got to wait till may.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

If it is like an intro, I would highly recommend it.

Just remembet that the nature of doing something the first time, might be missleading. It takes time to really learn to relax and enjoy scuba, although an intro will give you a good feeling about the whole idea.

I had 5 years between my intro and the actual course.

Have a nice time and enjoy your vacation.

Ari :)

Hello there,

I always had the idea that I'd like to certify in SCUBA one day....but once I went on a Discover SCUBA in Philippines....I knew I had to.

As other folks explained...there was a few hours of classroom and practice (we didn't do it in a pool, but in a shallow and protected bay)....then we went on a 6 Meter dive....I was completely hooked afterward.

Hope you enjoy it!

As a funny side note...both my confined water for my Discover SCUBA and my confined water for my OW were done in progected bays...so I've never been in a pool with SCUBA gear....only in warm clear salt water :D

Yep, do a discover scuba before you leave. It will probably be cheaper.

If you like it , try and do your first 3 academic modules and first 3 pool modules. Then get a refural from your instructor for the certification "Scuba Diver "(PADI)

When you arrive at your destination , find a PADI facility and have them take you out for your 2 check out dives.

With this cerification you can dive with any PADI professional (divemaster, assistant instructor, instructor) but do not have the full Open Water certification and you therefor cannot get your own air fills among things.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom