• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

First time Roatan/Turquoise Bay Resort

Discussion in 'Bay Islands' started by Jayfarmlaw, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Regular of the Pub

Which resort? TB has no house reef, we did our dial-in on the way down on the 1st dive of the trip.

2. Saltyhawg

Saltyhawg Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yep, no shore diving at TB. The reef is way too far from shore there to dive without a boat. Most of the dive sites are short boat rides. Our package included 3 boat dives per day and we added a couple of night dives as well as the shark dive.

3. Greg #504

Greg #504 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yeah, at TB. I kind of figured that from what I could see of the pictures on their website. Thought it odd they would advertise "unlimited shore diving" there with no HR. Maybe it is just deep enough to do some buoyancy checks and submerge instead of snorkeling? I'm certainly not opposed to this as we'll have a few that this will be their first dive trip. Work out some nerves when we arrive before we head out on the boats the next day.

4. dmaziuk

Uhm... this is what I see on Dive Packages | Turquoise Bay Resort:

I certainly didn't see "shore diving" mentioned anywhere when we booked our TB package.

5. Greg #504

Greg #504 Angel Fish

6. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

We stayed at TBR in 2015. Everything was lovely, except for the sand flies, of course. There is no shore diving there; moreover, snorkeling is not very exciting, unless you swim far out to the barrier reef. Note that TBR organizes dives in the south also, like Mary's place etc.

Greg #504 likes this.
  7. Greg #504

Greg #504 Angel Fish

Thanks, tarponchik. I stayed at FI in French Harbor this past February and the diving was great on that side. House reef between FI and CCV with a ship wreck and airplane to boot.

8. dmaziuk

Looks like someone at ScubaNashville made a typo/braino. They do have kayaks at TBR, though, diving the reef in front of it off a kayak is probably feasible -- it's about a 3-minute boat ride, as @tarponchik said a bit too far to swim.

9. ScubaNashville

ScubaNashville Angel Fish

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    We took our group there in October. We were told there was unlimited shore diving. They failed to mention no reef just sand. After we returned we went over their emails and they did mention that shore diving is available but the reef is too far to reach from shore.
    No worries. Some of the group did a quick weight check and refresher anyway.

drrich2 likes this.
  10. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

Is FI in diving business again? We stayed there back in 2007, but when we were at TBR in April-May/2015, FI only hosted local events, like weddings, etc.