First time Monterey Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wyman101

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any recommendations for dive sites, dive shops, shore versus boat...?? For 4 first time Monterey divers..... 2 recently certified.

Thanks

Mike :vintagediver:

I thought we had a sticky for this question...Can't find it. Do your first dives at Breakwater. Lots of reasons for this, but mostly it has to do with being a basic orientation to Monterey diving with good facilities and infrastructure.

This thread might be very useful: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/276617-3-things-tell-new-guy-monterey.html

We all have shops we like, and opinions vary, being opinions. We have no bad shops here. When a bad shop exists, it dies quickly and sometimes quite gruesomely.

I personally like Bamboo Reef on Lighthouse Ave. Breakwater has two shops within walking distance, Aquarius II and Monterey Bay Dive Center.(I think that's still the name)

Hopefully someone else can find the sticky and posts it.

And this is why we loves Chuck, he responds to prayers before you ask them. :p

-Nomad

First site (if you are ready for cold water diving)

Breakwater

You'll have an easy entrance/exit, food, bathrooms, airfills and other friendly divers to chat with. Easy navigation and plenty of eager rescue trained people there in case you really mess up.

Listen to Mr Tribolet and read his page.... and if you think that you are not ready or need more instruction do not be embarrassed to admit it... Diving Monterey isn't the same as some of the warmer water spots.

Thanks for responses so far. Anyone have the contact info for a good dive guide for breakwater on Sat maybe Sunday. That is when we plan on diving.

Thanks
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom