First Time in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radarguy

Registered
Reaction score
Well guys, this has been my first opportunity to upload a picture worth showing. We just came back from 5 great days of diving in Grand Cayman. The weather was great and water even better. This was a chance shot as I exited the control room of the Doc Paulson. These jack were coming right for the wreck until they saw me coming out and then they made a gradual U-turn. I caught them midway. This was take with a Subawider on my Nikonos V. Original is on a slide. Open for critique.
Thanks for all of the great pictures here that have inspired me.
Russ

Very Nice!

The shot has a good feel to it. Looks like you used natural light well for faroff subjects. You posted it to another website, too, yes?

Q: how do you convert the slide to .jpg?

Nice picture. Out of curiosity, which dive outfit did you use? I've been browing the other forums and while there is tons of info, I'm always interested in the latest opinions. Headed down there end of December via a Cruise.

marpacifica once bubbled...

Q: how do you convert the slide to .jpg?

I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. It's a great little scanner that costs about $350. It takes slides as well as negatives.
The photos one this page were taken by my wife and scanned with it.
http://www.tedjanssen.com/pages/765996/index.htm

TedJ

Thanks to all who checked out my jacks.
I was so pleased with Fisheye of Cayman I can't say enough. It was such a contrast to the rush- rush drift Mymiles2go,
diving that I learned on here on the east coast of Florida. They were very hospitable from the first phone call to the final dive. Susan is the managing partner while Bart is the other half of the shop team. He is a hoot with his British accent. If you go on the east or north side you will go out with Birgit and Dusty(pictured) on a V-hull boat. If you go to the west side you will go with Joanne on a pontoon boat. I like these with all the room. I really can't compare them to other operators on G. Cayman but I think they could be matched but not bettered. I like the fact that they have a separate dunk tank for cameras.
Their email is fisheye@candw.ky and the website is, of course, http://www.fisheye.com.
Let me know who you finally choose and how you like them.
Russ

I know these must be the most common pictures taken but I jsut had to capture the variety of shapes and colors. This one reminded me of bird wings. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that identifies carribbean marine life? I have seen advertised some for fish but could not tell whether they included this type of stuff.
By the way to marpacifica, I have a friend with a HP film scanner that he bought at closeout from B&H for $160. I think it did a pretty good job.

We found this guy on the way back to the surface during our night dive at the Turtle Farm.

Radarguy,
Check out the Paul Humann books. Reef Fish, Reef Creatures and the name of the third one evades me right now. Great books!
I think your orange featherduster worm may actually be a horeshoe worm. Not quite as common as a featherduster.
I haven't been lucky enough to get a white eel out in the open. Way cool. I don't remeber the sponges on the Doc Paulson, guess I have to go back.
Keep shooting,

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom