Question First time FFM Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just picked up a used Ocean Reef G Diver mask. I have been curious about them for a while. I went to the pool to give it a trial a few nights ago. My local dive instructor gave me a quick lesson and then I swam around for a while. I am not sure how much I like it yet. The fit was difficult to get right, but by the end I had it working somewhat well. The breathing effort wasn't as easy as my usual reg, but with the adjustment knob I was able to get it somewhat better. I have a few questions for some more experienced FFM users.

Where do you keep your spare mask? I could probably wedge in one of my zipper pockets, but they aren't huge pockets so will be tight.

Do you have any issues with photography using the FFM? I take a lot of photos and was hoping this would make it a bit easier, but first dive in the pool didn't seem that way.

We typically do 2 trips to Cozumel each winter, and one somewhere else. In Cozumel we leave all our gear with dive op for duration of trip. Would you leave a FFM with the op, or take it with you since it is a bit non-standard?

Any additional advice for an FFM noob? TIA

Where do you keep your spare mask? I could probably wedge in one of my zipper pockets, but they aren't huge pockets so will be tight.

Do you have any issues with photography using the FFM? I take a lot of photos and was hoping this would make it a bit easier, but first dive in the pool didn't seem that way.
I typically keep mine either on a carabiner, on my BC; or else, if wearing heavier gear, a pocket in a BC or one on a thigh.

Photography is a bit more of a challenge, given the volume of most FFMs and distance from the eye to either a viewfinder or LCD display on, say, a GoPro; but it was something that I managed to overcome. Manual focus, years ago, became a real difficulty; but I seldom use that any longer, given how good autofocus has become in low light . . .

Thanks Bigbella. I am using a TG-6 with LCD magnifier, so hopefully the FFM doesn't make that too difficult. The carabiner may be the way to go, or maybe a thigh pouch. I have been thinking of adding a pouch to carry my wide angle wet lens, so maybe have to see what options might take care of both.

Another question, how much does the mask change your buoyancy? I normally dive with 10 pounds. I am guessing I will need more weight with the FFM?

Another question, how much does the mask change your buoyancy? I normally dive with 10 pounds. I am guessing I will need more weight with the FFM?
Depending upon the interior volume of your mask, it may be more or less positively buoyant in shallower water; and many brands offer ballasts, which are mounted on the "rail" portion of the mask, along the sides.

They are colossal rip-offs, in terms of cost, even by dive shop standards, upwards of 300.00 or more for some lead or machined brass. Early on, I made some ballasts from lengths of bicycle inner tubes, plus lead shot, and cable ties -- completely customizable in terms of weight and the lowest of low tech -- before I found some actual ones at a swap meet, weighing down thirty years of Skin Diver and Hustler magazines, for twenty bucks . . .

Stupid question- do you mate the FFM to a drysuit hood, or do you modify the hood, mate the FFM to your face, and there's a gap between the FFM and the hood?

Stupid question- do you mate the FFM to a drysuit hood, or do you modify the hood, mate the FFM to your face, and there's a gap between the FFM and the hood?
Not a stupid question at all.

My masks are "over-pressure" or "positively-pressurized;" that is to say, they free-flow a tiny bit to create a positive seal and air circulation.

They have to be worn over a hood that has a "raw neoprene" border to create a seal -- either that or those intended for a drysuit. There remains no gap between the hood and the FFM and mine cannot be worn under a hood, due to its gradual free-flow, and to prevent nasty buoyancy mishaps . . .

Not a stupid question at all.

My masks are "over-pressure" or "positively-pressurized;" that is to say, they free-flow a tiny bit to create a positive seal and air circulation.

They have to be worn over a hood that has a "raw neoprene" border to create a seal -- either that or those intended for a drysuit. There is no gap between the hood and the FFM and mine cannot be worn under a hood, in order to prevent buoyancy mishaps . . .
Seems like it would add a lot of comfort for a cold water dive.

I’m not saying you need to take a FFM course, but I would definitely get instruction from someone who dives one frequently so you know what to do when SHTF. They’ll show you where to keep your spare mask, your octo, all that good stuff…one pool session isn’t sufficient IMO.

Seems like it would add a lot of comfort for a cold water dive.
Especially in WA -- spent some fun times up there, in Puget Sound and points North, years back, FFM and all . . .

Back
Top Bottom